Fuel line

zurvan7

There are 2 lines here with white clips (in blue square). The top line with white clip has popped off twice, put it back together again and popped off then I towed van home put it back together and start van for 30 min and everything is fine. Why its pooping off? Temps got to 17 F for week maybe pressure of fuel? Should I worry? Should I buy new rings(on pic below-214 and 198) or clips? What would you do. Thank you for any help. Found thread about it on this site but no answer.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1528661-ml-270-cdi-fuel-overpressure.html

Attachments

talkinghorse43

You apparently have an '02-3? Anyway, the white clips are meant to be a release mechanism so the lines can be removed. If you push them in toward the center, they spread the bail that retains the fitting. The bail is delicate, so yours may be broken or missing and not holding the fitting securely. If so, you'll have to jury rig something (wire tie, etc.) to hold the fitting in against the low pressure fuel pump's outlet pressure until that fuel line can be replaced.

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Why its pooping off?
The one line; the water in fuel bleed line may be building up pressure. Try tightened its valve. The valve should be closed. ~ The blue one.

Last edited:

misterbond10

Yes get new clips for sure, and some spares to keep on hand. As talking horse said & with every vehicle i've worked on you're supposed to push the clip INWARDS. I have made the mistake or trying to pry it outwards once but luckily didn't do any damage, maybe thats what you did to yours?

Other than that I would check for blockages in the output lines...maybe blow them out with compressed air/brake parts cleaner if feasible.

I really think the problem is with the clips or that quick connect fitting in general...I'm sure its designed to hold way more pressure than the sprinter produces for safety reasons (heck, its fuel! flammable!)

Is that fitting bent or out-of-round? O-rings in place? is something tugging on the line?

Last edited:

The clips are designed to hold the fuel line and O-ring type seals in the proper place to seal/seat.

As Dick mentioned, cable ties or baling wire can be used to maintain position until you properly address the problem(s). The fuel lines just need to be kept in place. The mechanical clips do not seal anything.

vic

zurvan7

Well, update is upper fuel line cost $54 and lower $24 and I need upper. Each Oring was 1.49 and they said I cant just buy those black ends with white clips themself, whole fuel line with those black ends on it must be bought. So far its holding up after last repair on side of road, I did cable tie around it anyway to make sure. Dodge could not even find Orings at all and they showed me diagram but MB did at least lol. Do I have to really spend 54 bucks or anybody knows where to get those ends only about 5 bucks or so? Thank you very much.

Top Bottom