PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this van?

Gleaton
03-12-2017, 07:12 AM
2006 T1N. Anyone have any opinions for me? Im looking for a 2006 2500 with 150-250
K miles to convert into a camper, as well as commute in.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/6037983654.html

Thanks!

Rickpcmp3
03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Things to know:
It's a former FedEx van.
Therefore it has a 65 mph speed governor on it.
It had no cruise control.
If you get an OEM cruise stalk and wiring it's easy to add to the van.
Turning on the cruise and increasing the speed limiter to 84 mph in/on the ECM can both be done at a Dodge dealer with a DRB3 scanner at the same time and should only cost around $125 (do both at the same time to save money).

Pull the engine's plastic top cover (seven 5mm Allen bolts) and check for any signs of Black Death!

Get a Sprinter friendly OBD2 scanner (most newer higher end Autels should work-the Autel MD820 is a good buy), and check for any stored or pending codes. Disregard the code regarding the electronic shift mechanism.

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2017, 03:36 PM
I can't offer much.

One owner... placarded for commercial service. If highway miles that's a plus. How many drivers could be a minus.

The passenger fold down seat will not be very comfortable.

By the pictures provided the cab interior does look pretty clean for the miles.

Some inspection info is here.

Inspection tips for buying a used Sprinter T1N
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

Good luck.

vic

GaryJ
03-12-2017, 03:44 PM
When they have the flip down passenger seat I don't think they have a passenger side airbag. See picture 11 and the hole over the glove compartment.

Gary

travelbuds@verizon.net
03-12-2017, 04:34 PM
I picked up one two years ago exactly like this except mine had 170k. The orange safety belts say FedEx. I got the dealer to throw in a real passenger seat and air bag for the sale.
So far I spent about 10 grand bringing the van up to traveling condition. I made a complete camper in the interior and did as much maintenance work as I could. My wife and I spent 18 weeks on the road last year and it was great. I use a Icarsoft scanner ( do NOT get the Carsoft scanner) and do all maintenance work myself. It will keep you busy fixing it up but boondocking is a great and cheap way to see the country.

Gleaton
03-12-2017, 05:24 PM
I picked up one two years ago exactly like this except mine had 170k. The orange safety belts say FedEx. I got the dealer to throw in a real passenger seat and air bag for the sale.
So far I spent about 10 grand bringing the van up to traveling condition. I made a complete camper in the interior and did as much maintenance work as I could. My wife and I spent 18 weeks on the road last year and it was great. I use a Icarsoft scanner ( do NOT get the Carsoft scanner) and do all maintenance work myself. It will keep you busy fixing it up but boondocking is a great and cheap way to see the country.

Thanks for the thoughts. Please tell me that is not 10,000 on top of the van itself? I would definitely want an air bag and passenger seat! where can you buy one?

Gleaton
03-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Things to know:
It's a former FedEx van.
Therefore it has a 65 mph speed governor on it.
It had no cruise control.
If you get an OEM cruise stalk and wiring it's easy to add to the van.
Turning on the cruise and increasing the speed limiter to 84 mph in/on the ECM can both be done at a Dodge dealer with a DRB3 scanner at the same time and should only cost around $125 (do both at the same time to save money).

Pull the engine's plastic top cover (seven 5mm Allen bolts) and check for any signs of Black Death!

Get a Sprinter friendly OBD2 scanner (most newer higher end Autels should work-the Autel MD820 is a good buy), and check for any stored or pending codes. Disregard the code regarding the electronic shift mechanism.

Great info! thank you so much. Thats not nearly as concerning as soon as i realize that I can go and get it fixed up.

autostaretx
03-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Please tell me that is not 10,000 on top of the van itself?
It's (almost, except for the tears :cry:) easy to spend thousands on an RV conversion... some refrigerators alone cost $1000, two roof fans could add almost $500, solar, batteries, converters and inverters can range from $500 to $5000 ... think "boat", except you're not throwing the money into a hole in the water...
I would definitely want an air bag and passenger seat! where can you buy one?
You could use this chance to buy a swiveling "captain's chair", or chase down regular Sprinter seats.
Then the sources (for the airbag, too) range from MB/Freightliner through "independent parts vendors" (start here: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54312) to "automobile recycling facilities" (aka junk yards)

--dick

autostaretx
03-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, i looked up that Sprinter's datacard (to see how a FedEx differed from "normal").
Here's that Sprinter's Options list, with the "different" items highlighted in bold:
172 - FUEL PREHEATER
AC6 - AXLE RATIO I = 3.727
B24 - COVER FOR HAND BRAKE STEP-UP UNIT
B90 - WITHOUT LOAD-DEPENDENT BRAKE VALVE
BB0 - BRAKING SYSTEM WITH ABS/ASR OR ABS/ETS
BB3 - ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
C38 - REAR SPRING FOR 3.88-T WEIGHT VARIANT
C42 - STABILIZER,REAR AXLE UNDER THE FRAME
C45 - H.D. FRONT AXLE STABILIZER
C47 - H.D. SHOCK ABSORBERS
D03 - HIGH ROOF
D64 - PARTITION PANEL WITH SLIDING DOOR
E56 - FEDEX RADIO FREQUENCY ANTENNA PREINSTALLATION
EE8 - 12V BATTERY 100 AH
EK1 - TERMINAL STRIP FOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTION
F76 - GRAB HANDLE CO-DRIVER SIDE <-- although i have one, too ... it's above the pass door
FR5 - BACKUP CAMERA PREINSTALLATION, SAFETY VISION
FS4 - LEFT AND RIGHT AUXILIARY MIRRORS NOT HEATED
FW5 - DISCONTINUATION OF ASR OFF SWITCH
FW7 - NO CENTRAL LOCKING SWITCH IN DASHBOARD <-- has central locking, but no dashboard switch
FY6 - CENTRAL LOCKING WITH RADIO REMOTE CONTROL NAFTA
FZ9 - TWO ADDITIONAL MASTERS <-- that means it originally was delivered with 4 keys
G40 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
H21 - ALL-RND.HEAT ABSORB.GL.W.BAND FLTR ON FR.WINDOW
H72 - ELECTRIC ROOF VENT II <-- mushroom-style rooftop fan
HH9 - SEMI-AUTOMATICALLY CONTROLLED TEMPMATIC A/C
IL2 - EXPORT CODE
J11 - SPEEDOMETER MPH AND KM/H
J64 - MAINTENANCE INDICATOR FOR DRY AIR FILTER <--- it has (only one?) ASSYST maintenance-indicator option
J65 - OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE INDICATOR
JA2 - VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL PICK-UP POINT IN SEAT FRAME <-- for a data-logger (maybe still in there?)
JV1 - PREINSTALLATION, DADS BRACKET FOR FEDEX
K60 - TAIL PIPE LEADING STRAIGHT TO THE REAR
KB0 - MAIN TANK 100 LITER
KL5 - FUEL FILTER WITH WATER SEPARATOR
L05 - AUTOMATIC DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS FOR USA/CANADA
L94 - ELIMINATION OF PARKING LIGHT <-- removes one European function of the headlight twist-switch
LB5 - CENTER HIGH-MOUNTED BRAKE LAMP
LD1 - DOME LAMP IN LOAD COMPARTMENT WITH BULB
M39 - 14 V/150 A ALTERNATOR <-- that's the highest power alternator for the T1N
M96 - FUEL PREHEATER
MB0 - OIL DIP STICK FOR COLD MEASUREMENT <-- yellow-handled dip stick... :thumbup:
MC0 - ENGINE OM 647 DE 27 LA 115 KW (156 HP) 3800/RPM
MF2 - ENGINE REGISTERED FOR "CARB STATES"
P47 - MUDFLAP FRONT
P48 - MUD APRON
R65 - SPARE WHEEL CARRIER UNDER FRAME END
R87 - SPARE WHEEL
RA5 - DROP CENTER RIMS 6 J X 16 H2 F. 225/75 R16
RF9 - TIRE MANUFACTURER GOODYEAR (90)
RG8 - TYRES 225/75 R16
RM0 - ALL-SEASON TIRE
RM2 - STEEL WHEELS ARCTIC WHITE
RM9 - TIRE MAKE SPECIAL REQUEST
RW3 - DISCONTINUATION OF HUBCAPS
RY9 - VALVE FLAPS WITH VERIFY FUNCTION
S20 - CO-DRIVER'S FOLDING SEAT
S62 - "ORANGE" SAFETY BELT DRIVER AND CO-DRIVER SEATS
S91 - ELIMINATION OF CO-DRIVER'S SEAT
S99 - PASSENGER SEAT FRAME DISCONT. <-- no pass seat pedestal
SA5 - AIRBAG DRIVER SIDE
SD2 - SAFETY DEV. ON B-PILLAR WHEN FRONT SEATS DELETED <-- maybe a sign saying "no airbag"?
SS4 - SANTOS FABRIC
T11 - DOOR REINFORCEMENT IN AREA OF LOCK
T15 - COURIER, EXPRESS AND PARCEL SERVICES NAFTA
T16 - SLIDING DOOR RIGHT
T85 - ENTRANCE GRAB AT CORNER PILLAR AT LEFT REAR <---handy rear door grab bars
T86 - ENTRANCE GRAB AT CORNER PILLAR AT RIGHT REAR
V43 - WOOD FLOOR
VA3 - LOAD COMPARTMENT INNER TRIM UP TO ROOF WASHABLE
VC5 - WOODEN FLOOR ALUMINUM PROTECTIVE STRIP, ENTRANCE
W54 - REAR-END DOORS, DOUBLE-WING, OPENING TO SIDE WALL
WM0 - SPRINTER FACELIFT 2003
WN6 - STEUERCODE WERK <<-- ??"Control Codes"?? (maybe the speed-limiting?)
X42 - PLATES / PRINTED MATERIALS ENGLISH
X90 - SPRINTER SALES DESIGNATION DELETED
X92 - COMPANY LOGO (MERCEDES-BENZ) DELETED
XC8 - VIN VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE
XL8 - WEIGHT VARIANT 3880 KG
XV9 - PREINSTALLATION FOR FEDEX WARNING BOARD - USA <-- probably where they hang the HazMat diamonds
XW6 - REGISTRATION PLATE DELETED
XY6 - MODEL YEAR 6
Y11 - BRACKETS USED FOR WARNING TRIANGLE
Y90 - ELIMINATION OF JACK <<--- whoops! ... no hydraulic jack if you get a flat tire
Y91 - TOLL KIT AND TOOLS DELETED <-- nor tools
Z04 - MASTER CODE - SPIER COMPANY <-- i wonder if the keys are "mastered"? (should be an "F" option)
Z41 - APPROVAL AS TRUCK
Z75 - BODYSHELL REINFORCEMENT
Z81 - TIE-DOWN EYES
Z90 - UNDERBODY CONSERVATION DELETED <<--?? they left off the rubber undercoating??
ZB2 - AUT. ADDITION OF USA COUNTRY SPEC. EQUIP. FEDEX
ZB6 - PRODUCTION PARTS KIT
ZU8 - USA COUNTRY VERSION
ZX8 - DODGE EXECUTION
9147 - PAINT ARCTIC WHITE MB 9147

... the photos showed a rear-door-like grab handle on the sliding door's B-pillar.
The rear step-bumper it has is much beefier than MB's

--dick (datacard from http://mb-teilekatalog.info/?lang=E , VIN is WD0PD744565965335 )

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Please tell me that is not 10,000 on top of the van itself? I would definitely want an air bag and passenger seat! where can you buy one?
The seat and air bag hardware can be acquired given a willingness to spend money.

There may be some issues.

Technically can safety equipment like that just be added when not included OEM?

I know for a fact that generally speaking MB doesn't include one more scrap of wire in a harness than is necessary. If an option isn't ordered OEM, there is little likelihood that the wires/connector will be found. Even if the harness is set up for it my guess is that the ECM will need to be re-programmed for the additional air bag as to pre-start test routines, etc.

I have no data. I don't know the answers to the above. I do know that air bags themselves aren't cheap. It would be good to do the homework before purchase.

Good hunting.

vic

Added:
Picture #11 shows a cubby where the air bag would be. The dash/louver plastic trim may be different, or could be standard for all.

ptheland
03-12-2017, 06:58 PM
No one has mentioned it yet, so I guess I'll comment on the ad. The statement "well maintained" and the big dent in the driver's door extending onto the front fender are, well, incongruent. If it were well maintained, why was that dent left unrepaired?

Also, there's FedEx and then there's FedEx contractors who can use the FedEx livery on their trucks. I suspect the maintenance levels are going to differ between these. Some contractors will maintain their trucks well, and some won't.

Then there's the mileage on this particular truck. If you buy a truck to deliver things, you're going to put a lot of miles on it. For it's age - that's not a lot of miles.

None of these items are deal-breakers. And they could all turn out to be non-issues. But they all point to places for further investigation.

autostaretx
03-12-2017, 08:06 PM
The dent could've been what migrated this particular Sprinter from "in service" to "sell it!"

--dick