Back from Baja

Island Jim

My wife and I just returned to Vashon from a month long 4600 mile trip to Baja in our 2014 high roof 2500.The only problem we had with the van was the stock continental tires which failed before we got to the border at 15000 miles. Big chunks of rubber were peeling off the two front tires. We stopped at the Hollywood Mercedes dealer because we were visiting our son in the neighborhood. They were not a help at all, telling us the tires were dryrotted and needed replacing, I think we knew that, but they couldn't get us in for a week and wouldn't pay anything for replacement. We called around and found a set of Michelin LTX defenders in San Diego for the right price so drove cautiously South, tire problem solved. We crossed the border at Chula Vista, very easy, took about 20 minutes. The toll road to Ensenada is excellent, fast and smooth, also the shopping in Ensenada is easy, even a Costco for those who like that. Once you head South the road becomes much more challenging, narrow, winding, potholed with fairly aggressive drivers. We took our time, drove only during daylight and did fine except one incident which is another story for a later time. We spent three days driving south to Bahia Conception where we hooked up with our Canadian friends camping in their Promaster conversion. We filled up with ULSD in Jesus Maria just before entering Baja south. There is only LSD available in the South. We were turning around in Loreto so had to use only two tanks of LSD and had no problem with fuel on the trip. Our favorite campgrounds were centered around Mulege. There are five or six beaches on Bahia Conception where the camping is great,paddling and fishing excellent and the people are very friendly. Camping is about five dollars a night which includes a Palapa for shade if you are early enough. Low key vendors come each morning with fruit, vegetables, tamales, shrimp, water etc. all delicious and cheap. Most of the people camping on the beach are Canadians or Americans with a few Europeans about. Mulege is a great stop for a meal out, a little culture and a chance to interact with more locals. Our favorite beach in the area was Escondido or hidden beach just south of town. Escondido had a narrow steep and rough trail to it which kept the big rigs out! We stopped at many more great spots which I will talk about in another post. I will also post some pictures after we edit them.

We were very happy with how the van and it's systems worked. I did have to manually shift my V6 a lot but don't find that to be a problem, lots of fourth gear hills in the Baja. A stove you can use outdoors is very useful. I had a fixed two burner propane stove inside and a single burner portable propane stove which got a lot of use. Our friends had a Camp Chef Everest propane stove which could be used inside or out, very good choice. Water was no problem, there were shops that sold purified water for 10 pesos for 5 gallons in every town. You need to purchase the bottle at first fill then just exchange them when filling up again. We gravity filled our tank which worked but was a pain, our friends use a 12volt pump to transfer from bottles to their tank which was a much more elegant solution. We both carried our sea kayaks on the roofs using a after roller to get them up and down. This worked well but did mean we had to get on the roof to pull them up and down and to secure them. We both used Thetford curve port potties which worked well. Lots of out houses or dump stations available. Our Truck fridge tf65 was on the whole trip and worked perfectly. We had 300 amp Lifeline batteries charged by a Sterling b2b charger and never got below 82% soc.The Baja is a great place to visit in your van, we can highly recommend it, just don't be in a hurry!

D

Deleted member 50714

Just curious, does the vehicle sit for long periods of time?

Island Jim

It's a pro connect VSR240, so I should call it a voltage sensitive relay, works great, easy to install about 140 dollars.

Ovrlnd_Trvlr

On A Journey
It's a pro connect VSR240, so I should call it a voltage sensitive relay, works great, easy to install about 140 dollars.
Thanks. Where did you buy it from?

Any photo from your travels? I am an Island away from you, and getting very tiered of this winter. Cant travel to warm sunny locals this year, maybe next.

Island Jim

I mentioned in my earlier post that we turned around in Loreto so only had to use a couple of tanks of low sulfur or 50 ppm fuel. You can get 15 ppm fuel as far South as Jesus Maria just north of Guerro Negro. The fuel looked good and the Van ran great. If I was going to spend a lot of time and drive a lot South of Jesus Maria I would have to reconsider. I mentioned one incident we had, I think it's worth talking about. The road from Ensenada to San Quintin has some hilly, rough, washed out sections. My wife went back to the galley to make lunch in the middle of one of the worst spots, I screwed up and had to hit the brakes while she was standing up. She fell forward and banged her arm pretty hard. Her arm swelled rapidly and developed a large black and blue bump. By the time we got to San Quintin, about 5pm, it was obvious she needed to see a doctor. We checked into a small hotel, the owners spoke excellent english and concurred with us about a doctor visit. They set up an appointment to see Dr Rodriguez at a small Christian hospital in town. The xrays showed no break but the diagnosis was a Hematoma needing an operation to remove blood clots. Our options were limited at this point, either attempt to drive all night back to Tijuana, not good, or face an operation in a funky Mexican hospital. Dr Rodriguez spoke English and was able to explain our choices in a calm professional manner. My wife choose the funky hospital, not about to face more of my driving at that point. After an hour operation the Dr. came to the waiting room to show me two handfuls of blood clots they removed and assure me all went well and that we probably made the right decision to operate that night. After a night and half the next day in the hospital she was released but asked to stay in town one more night, the bill for everything came to 400 dollars. Susan recovered and we continued our trip but no paddling for her. Needless to say we do not move the van until everybody is seated and belted now! We can give high marks to Dr Louis Rodriguez and the Buen Pastuer Hospital in San Quintin, we also strongly suggest not driving at night in Baja and not going back to make lunch any time your underway. Take the time to pull off the road, take some cactus pictures when stopped! We love the Baja and will be going back; just be careful on the roads.

AlkiSprinter

Great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

We would love to see you your Sprinter. We recently purchased a 2005 Sprinter ... conversion in progress. We live near Alki Beach.

Thanks,

Eddie

Island Jim

Congratulations on buying a Sprinter, doing a conversion is a rewarding project in many ways. We would like to meet and see your van, PM me. Jim R

Island Jim

One of our favorite spots was Ojo De Liebre, or Scammons lagoon, Southwest of Guerro Negro.Thousands of grey whales come to the lagoon late fall to give birth and hang out until the new arrivals are strong enough to head back to Alaska for the summer feeding season.When we visited in the middle of Feb. there were around 1700 whales. They seemed to seek out human interaction, the moms would bring their babies right up to the pangas and let us pet them. It sounds a little crazy, you have to experience it to understand. There is a long beach with palapas for camping every hundred feet or so at the launch site. We loved all the beaches around Bahia Conception, Santispec, Coyote, and our favorite Playa Escondido. We enjoyed Loreto for the restaurants, shopping, and the great people we met at the campground in town. Mulege was fun for the Mexican vibe and friendly helpful locals, both Mexican and gringos. San Ignacio had a great camping spot and a classic town square for hanging out and drinking date shakes. Get a guide book there are hundreds of beautiful spots to visit. We lost our photo shop when our computer crashed and not sure how to resize our pictures!

Attachments

Redpillar

Thanks Jim, My wife and I are planning a trip that way for next year. We are just north of you on Vancouver Island. February would be the perfect time to head for the sun.

Ovrlnd_Trvlr

On A Journey
Jim, and Redpillar

Are you guys coming to the Seattle meet up in April? INFO

Would be great to see your rigs in person.

Last edited:

Top Bottom