Clunk under van: right rear

ENMeyer

Sounds like a a ball peen hammer is flopping around under there. Mostly over small bumps. Seems to be worse when it's cold. Tends to go away when the van warms up.

Shock doesn't wiggle
Sway bar (upgraded) seems tight

Ideas?

sprinterPaul

You check the u bolts on the rear suspension? Just a total guess here. I know those need to be retorqued at first service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris9900

Sounds like a a ball peen hammer is flopping around under there. Mostly over small bumps. Seems to be worse when it's cold. Tends to go away when the van warms up.

Shock doesn't wiggle

Sway bar (upgraded) seems tight

Ideas?

Not sure if same as my t1n, but I had the same problem and neither I or my mechanic could tell where it was rattling. Then a friend of mine looked under and noticed a rubber spacer pad missing from between two of the rear leaf springs on one side. New ones were like $5 and fixed the noise 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENMeyer

Thanks Guys - I'll check when I get home.

I thought I had found it when I was banging around under there - the spare tire carrier was a tad loose, so I snugged that up, but still the same noise.

cyclemax

Double check that spare tire carrier. Mine was tight, but one of the "hooks" that hang down thru the body sheet metal could still cause some banging. I think I ended up swapping the left and right sides and carefully positioning them from below while tightening above. Good luck.

Top Bottom