Dr. A help is needed

Talbott594

Talbott594
Doctor A, This came from a post back in 2012 . I have the same problem with my 2004 TIN SHC. I rebuilt it 3 years ago and it did good until recently. What did you ever find as the source of the problem.

I have seen several cases with similar post cool down latent pressure symptoms such as your Sprinter. Both involved slow coolant loss but both also had very inconsistent heater operation.

Coolant flow was compromised in both cases resulting in very low and erratic flow to heater core (confirmed by measuring flow into and out of heater circuit).

After ruling out any issues with radiator blockage, heater core blockage, water pump performance, thermostat, etc. I concluded a localized air pocket was developing in the coolant circuit due to possible cylinder compression inclusion into the cooling system.

Diesel combustion gases in coolant tests were negative.

One of those engines failed and I will be conducting an autopsy in the next few weeks.

Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Since that posting I have seen more cases involving these same symptoms, namely residual pressure in cooing system long after cool down, erratic heater operation and coolant loss with no apparent external leakage.

Most of these have been cylinder head gasket failure and one or two others have also involved cracks in cylinder head.

Doktor A

Top Bottom