PDA

View Full Version : OM647 EGR High pitched noise?

mrawsonw
03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Does a failing/clogged EGR make a VERY high pitched noise?

I've had my 2006 140 tall passenger with 120k miles for a week or so, I've changed both air filters, oil + filter, ATF fluid+filter, fuel filter. I've driven it very little, yesterday I started it and the check engine light came on, throwing the codes (cheap Bluetooth scanner+torque app) P0402 (excessive EGR flow) and P2355(?). Then I drove around town and the turbo cut out for the second half of the drive.

With the hood open, idling, I heard a very high pitched noise. I couldn't pinpoint it. Could it be caused by a problem with the EGR? After clearing codes and restarting engine, the noise was gone, but the codes return. No check engine light yet.
My plan for moving forward is to buy MAF cleaner and carb cleaner clean the MAF and EGR (I guess I'll need a gasket for EGR?). But I would love input! I was hoping to get a bit more trouble-free service out of my new baby before I dove into Euro-slaving under the hood ;).
Y'all are Rockstars and deserve a spot in Capacious Van Valhalla for helping all of us neophytes out in sprinterworld!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Aqua Puttana
03-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Generic OBDII scan tools can send you down the garden path when used on Sprinters.

Many have reported noticing a high pitched noise from the OM647 engine EGR. THE EGR is controlled using PWM signal. I would not consider a noticed high pitched noise as an indication/symptom of EGR failure.

It was running fine before your work/modifications? Go back to the things done. Do not go rogue and create more issues.

Look around.

Check that the air hose from the air filter box to the turbo inlet is properly installed/in place. Leaks there can cause issues.

Check that no electrical connectors got knocked loose, or left unconnected.

Good luck.

:2cents: vic

mrawsonw
03-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Thanks Vic! It seemed to be running fine, but I've only driven it about 30 miles since I bought it. My working assumption is that something was wrong due to my replacing engine air filter- either I got the MAF sensor dirty or left a leak in the system. Thanks again! Morgan

misterbond10
03-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Sounds like they pulled a fast one on ya clearing the check engine codes right before you bought it :(

mrawsonw
03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Just to close out this thread, I looked under the hood again and saw that I never re-tightened the turbo air intake hose clamp. It was sitting there adjacent to the stub. Hah! All is well. I wasn't had by the seller. Sorry for the extraneous content!