Find 12v Trailer Fuse

DougE

Never mind! Found it under the steering wheel fuse cover on a pigtail. Was only a 10 amp so upgraded to 30 amp. I was just surprised to hear the "pop" when it blew as I was standing at the rear of the van.

Last edited:

sailquik

DougE,
If it's "on a pigtail" that's pretty scary.
First, there are NO pigtails in a properly installed T1N (or NCV3) trailer wiring system or trailer brake controller system.
2nd, what caused the fuse to "pop" so loudly that you could hear it at the back of the van?
That sounds like a huge short or surge.
Adding a 30 amp fuse may cause a fire next time it shorts or surges.
Might want to find out what's going on with that fuse, how to wire the trailer lights and brake controller correctly
before you burn your Sprinter to the ground if the 30 amp fuse does not blow before the fire starts.
Roger

DougE

Per page 8W-54-3 from the 2004 manual: "12v Power for trailer plug is through a 25 amp fuse in Fuse Block #3". I found this next to the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I have seen a couple of references in the forum to this location. I believe the wiring diagram indicates that this is a 14 gauge wire and that seems to agree reasonably with my visual observation. There were actually 2 pig tail fuse holders adjacent to the fuse block under the steering wheel.

Per page 8W-54-3 from the 2004 manual: "12v Power for trailer plug is through a 25 amp fuse in Fuse Block #3". I found this next to the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I have seen a couple of references in the forum to this location. I believe the wiring diagram indicates that this is a 14 gauge wire and that seems to agree reasonably with my visual observation. There were actually 2 pig tail fuse holders adjacent to the fuse block under the steering wheel.
To my knowledge the OEM trailer wiring package doesn't use pigtail fuses under the steering column.

As long as the wire is up to your increase to 30 amp then burned wiring shouldn't be a problem whether OEM of aftermarket.

vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I have the OEM aftermarket install. The fuse is on a line that connects to the battery and is about 6" from the end of the wire. It is a 25 amp fuse. Sounds like you have an odd aftermarket setup. This fuse is for the power-all-the-time line in the seven pin plug.

Top Bottom