PDA

View Full Version : V6 new thump/lurch when shifting

webdbbt
02-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I have a 2014 V6 with just over 40K miles. The van has developed a mild thump or lurch when shifting. At first this was infrequent: maybe 3 months ago happened once per week (daily driving short trips) and once per acceleration through the gears. Naturally, now that I am 2400 miles from home it is happening frequently, every few accelerations and sometimes multiple shifts (i.e. bump during shift 2-3 and also 3-4.) Never seems to happen with 1-2 or 4-5 shifts. Happens if I manually shift or auto. Seems to happen less or not at all under strong acceleration.

At first I was sure this is a transmission issue, now reading these threads, I'm not sure. The bump seems to happen just as the shift has finished and power is being applied again. There does seem to be a sag in power that I didn't see before, almost as if a clutch is slipping.

Could this be EGR instead of transmission? My EGR was replaced last year under warranty.

Any thoughts on what I should suggest to the mechanic? How do I avoid being ripped-off? I'm in Tucson, AZ, any shop recommendations? I have appt with MB for Monday.

Thanks in advance!

Peanut Butter
02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
I had the same thing a year ago with my 4 cylinder. Mercedes couldn't figure out why. Eventually they replaced the transmission,the torque converter, and the flywheel. Mercedes was supposed to investigate using my old parts. If they did they might have answers for you.

webdbbt
02-24-2017, 02:57 PM
I had the same thing a year ago with my 4 cylinder. Mercedes couldn't figure out why. Eventually they replaced the transmission,the torque converter, and the flywheel. Mercedes was supposed to investigate using my old parts. If they did they might have answers for you.

Tranny replace: Yikes! What mileage did you have at the time?

My warranty expired 4 months, 4k miles ago. I'm going to MB mainly to try to get any fix done under warranty.

sailquik
02-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Did you have the trans service done per your maintenance schedule?
How much load are you carrying or towing?
Have the transmission service done first.
Good luck on getting MB Sprinter USA to repair this after the
36K front to back warranty has expired.
Peanut Butter has an entirely different engine and 7 speed transmission, so his
repairs could be for entirely different underlying problems for the same symptoms.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

webdbbt
02-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Did you have the trans service done per your maintenance schedule?
How much load are you carrying or towing?
Have the transmission service done first.
Good luck on getting MB Sprinter USA to repair this after the
36K front to back warranty has expired.
Peanut Butter has an entirely different engine and 7 speed transmission, so his
repairs could be for entirely different underlying problems for the same symptoms.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi sailquik, thanks for response. My maint sched says no tranny service before 60K (4th oil change), so nothing done. Thanks for the suggestion on just doing tranny service first, I came to same conclusion. Strangely, after not driving for two days, today I've driven about 40 miles and no bad shifts.

Peanut Butter
02-26-2017, 03:12 AM
I had 38,000 miles at the time but I have the 175,000 mile extended warranty.

sailquik
02-26-2017, 04:59 PM
webddbt,
Have you checked the transmission fluid level?
Do you have any signs that the trans fluid may be leaking?
(Oily spots under the vehicle, leaking electrical connector on lower RH front of the trans,
oil blow back behind the trans on the frame of your Sprinter)
Could be that the fluid level is simply low.
Roger

webdbbt
02-27-2017, 12:58 AM
webddbt,
Have you checked the transmission fluid level?
Do you have any signs that the trans fluid may be leaking?
(Oily spots under the vehicle, leaking electrical connector on lower RH front of the trans,
oil blow back behind the trans on the frame of your Sprinter)
Could be that the fluid level is simply low.
Roger

I don't have the dipstick to check the level. No leaks when parked, but I will check the frame. . Van is behaving now for 3 days straight with not one bad shift.

Thanks for suggestions...

sailquik
02-27-2017, 02:45 AM
webdbbt
Check this out:
http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009transmissionservicedipstick.asp
Get one and you will be able to check your trans fluid level.
Roger

webdbbt
02-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Thanks, i'll be getting one of those...

webdbbt
03-01-2017, 01:25 AM
So for the last four days and 300+ miles the van has not had the lurching issue. I took it to MB but they felt (and I agreed), without seeing the problem would be a waste of money for them to spend a lot of time looking. They did a quick check and sent me on my way no charge.

So I've been pushing it and trying to reproduce the problem but it is running smooth as silk. This makes me think it was never a tranny issue? Only thing I can think of is bad fuel, but I ran through probably 2 or 3 full tanks of fuel from different suppliers while having the issue so fuel seems unlikely to me.

I think I'll do transmission service early, at my next oil change, in the meantime I'll check the level. But no obvious leaks were found.

Scampermobile
08-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Did your lurching issue ever return? I just began experiencing the same problem. I towed a heavy load about 3500 miles no problems then drove unloaded for about 2500 miles still no problems then all of a sudden on a hot day while climbing a hill unloaded i get the lurch... it happened a few times under slow acceleration and wouldn't happen under heavy acceleration, if I manually put it in 3rd while climbing it wouldn't happen but it would happen if I had it in 4th or Drive. I had the transmission serviced by the dealer less than 10k miles ago prior to the trip and have an appointment Wednesday for them to check things out.