PDA

View Full Version : Warranty and Schedule A/B

lrickley
02-23-2017, 02:48 AM
I just took my 2014 2500 Sprinter 4cyl diesel in for it's Schedule A at the local Mercedes dealership. Current OD is 26,700 miles. The cost for a Schedule A is high IMO, now I am not saying that I am upset but $250 for an oil change and $85 for a cabin air filter does seem a bit high. I don't want to risk my warranty, but is there any other option for the oil change? Could I buy the special MB oil and filter and do it myself or take it to my normal mechanic? The cabin air filter will not happen again, they charge $53 for labor to change it out, it couldn't have taken more than 30 seconds to do, that one ticked me off a bit.

Curious what others have to say about this, especially the warranty and oil change question. Again, I must state that the local MB dealership has been excellent, their service is A+, but I would rather pay a lot less and get C level service. Since I don't have to change the oil but every 15,000 miles, the $250 is easier to deal with, but my Schedule B will be up next, the last one was about $800, they did all of the above plus power flushed the brake system and a few other minor things. Not sure why the brake lines need to be flushed at 15,000 miles, I have a van I bought new in 2007 with 168,000 miles on it and I haven't ever changed the brake fluid and it's been fine so not sure about that one either.

Thanks!

avanti
02-23-2017, 03:15 AM
OF COURSE you can do your own service. Just document it properly and your warranty is fine. US law requires this. And, you don't even have to buy the "special MB oil" -- any oil that meets the certifications specified in your service manual is fine. Just be VERY sure that the exact required BEVO specification code appears on the oil container. Keep your receipts and take pictures. A Sprinter oil change is about as easy as it gets.

OrioN
02-23-2017, 03:28 AM
Not sure why the brake lines need to be flushed at 15,000 miles, I have a van I bought new in 2007 with 168,000 miles on it and I haven't ever changed the brake fluid and it's been fine so not sure about that one either.

Thanks!

How do you know your brake fluid is fine, and not a ticking time-bomb?

Cheyenne
02-23-2017, 08:22 AM
How do you know your brake fluid is fine, and not a ticking time-bomb?

I test my brake fluid with a tester 'pen'...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PT-Enterprise-K228-28-Brake-Tester/dp/B005HVG4GQ

As an experiment I took a capful of brand new fluid which tested at 0% and left it open overnight, the following morning it tested at >4% so I have reasonable faith in its readings.

Keith.

PS But I still replace the fluid in my Sprinter every 2 to 3 years as it only covers a very low annual mileage.