T1N Power Steering Noise

burns

Hi all. 2000 312D LWB 180k and I have only just bought it. Its been sitting for a while I think.

Has a loud whine when putting the steering under load all the way lock to lock, this changes in pitch with RPM. Steering feels OK tiny hard spots but I dont think id notice if it wasnt for this problem. LH of the rack has a small leak so resivour was on min so I used Lucas Stop leak and pulled what i could out of res and filled with that (old oil looked ok). Checked all hoses and clamps they seem fine. The fluid is very very foamy after turning even for a short while.

So im leaning towards getting a new pump? What you guys think?

I have read all I can on here about it

Cheers

burns

So im leaning towards getting a new pump? What you guys think?

I have read all I can on here about it

Cheers

burns
Tight spots could be other components, and not necessarily the pump..

Foaming. There is a procedure to get air out of the system. I believe that it is covered in the Service Manuals.

Do an advance search using keyword steering with Eric Experience as member name. He has contributed some good information about steering and alignment.

vic

burns

Thanks guys. Oil is full so it's not that and I've inspected all hoses and they look good.

Could there be a hole in a pipe that would suck air when it's running and not leak out when it's turned off??

lindenengineering

Some tips
Noise can be air en-trained in the fluid!
The most unlikely thought about or overlooked areas are the input shafts seal, the fluid tank seals and the captive filter inside the reservoir.
The other of course is the wrong fluid!

If the rig has done more than 100,000 miles consider a new tank and a seal.
Of course purge out the fluid for new!

Many rack and pinion systems are always hard to bleed and get trapped air out of the system.
If you think MB's are bad try Chevy/Ford late model cars for a dose of reality!:thumbdown:
I use a Mighty Vac tool to suck air out of such hydro systems.
The kit from Napa comes with various reservoir adapters to create a vacuum in the tank and system before filling
See:-
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Steering-Air-Bleeder-Adapter/dp/B00RVZ7HLW

Now as testament on Range Rovers they have system called ACE.
Advanced Cornering Enhancement!
Being hydraulic to control body roll and stability the system is notoriously hard to bleed. This tool makes it a 5 minute job to purge air out and return the vehicle to the customer with a fully operational ACE which by the way will make an RR pee all or just about anything on the highway or off road track.
Try one !.
Dennis
Mechanic

burns

success tonight. done the bleed with engine off with front end jacked up and the bubbles flowed up out of the res. when i put it back on the floor the res was empty, topped it up and all ok no noise. cheers all

lindenengineering

OK Good
Success by the old method!
This however poses a question!
Do PAS systems filter fluid on the suction or the return side?
This is pertinent to repair methods and the success of thesame.
Dennis
Mechanic

misterbond10

you can get those nifty power steering fluid filters at advanced auto parts, they are machined aluminum & rebuild-able. There is a magnet inside and a filter screen, it unscrews for cleaning - highly recommended to keep your power steering system clean. They come in different sizes for different hose diameters depending on your vehicle. Although electronic power steering is the bees knees

Top Bottom