PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel control (buttons) malfunctioning

xyz
02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone,
The Sprinter's steering wheel controls aren't working properly anymore (menu, up/down, volume control). Sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own and starts cycling through the menus. Other times, the buttons are non-responsive or registers a different button press. I think this is also causing my radio volume to increase to the loudest setting since there are volume controls on the steering wheel.

Does anyone have an idea of where to start looking at to fix this issue?

Also, how do I go about resetting the maintenance reminder if my steering wheel control is not working? I tried to spend 30 minutes getting the buttons to cooperate, but it was unsuccessful.

xyz
03-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Bump. Does anyone have a lead for the wheel controls or for the maintenance rest?

sideup
05-10-2018, 11:27 PM
Did you ever figure it out. Just returned from a dealership B service and now when in the odometer screen I hit the arrow buttons and radio channel changes.
Of course the call to the dealership was worthless , "wow we don't know what could be causing this."

xyz
05-18-2018, 03:41 AM
No, I never figured it out. I don't really know where to look in order to troubleshoot this issue.

The radio can't be used anymore due to the increasing volume. I think it is part of the steering wheel control issue.

Tooth Fairy
05-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Ever had the vehicle scanned with a good quality scanner?
It will show up all the faults including the steering wheel malfunction.

sailquik
05-19-2018, 01:49 AM
Anyone notice that we are seeing quite a few issues directly after dealer services.
Speedo/Odo changed Miles to Kilometers.
Steering wheel buttons getting goofed up.
Smoke from the dashboard.
HELLO MB/FL Dealers.....almost no one else has the diagnostics systems and interfaces to make
these sort of changes.
Pretty obvious that somehow the current diagnostics software or the current batch of Sprinter technicians
(or some diabolical combo of both) are the root cause of this phenomenon.
"Of course the call to the dealership was worthless , "wow we don't know what could be causing this."
My first response would be that they will soon have to opportunity to find out what the cause is as it's coming
back to them to repair/restore/reprogram back to the level it was when they began work on it.
My next call would be to the MB Sprinter/Freightliner Sprinter 24/7 helpline and find out who the area Sprinter Rep
is.
Don't need my Dick Tracy/Forensics cap to tell that the only diagnostics system that has ever been hooked
up to my Sprinter's electronics is at the dealer.....so they WILL need to take responsibility.
Roger

mikesprints
05-19-2018, 03:15 AM
My buttons went haywire. Had to select values 1 less than I wanted to end up on the right settings. Oh that was fun when it ended up in Deutsch....

Roger D
05-19-2018, 11:23 AM
I have a 2016 Navion (2015 3500 chassis) and I have a recall notice, that I have ignored, that wants to disable the steering wheel controls because of potential ECU malfunctions. So far everything is working fine, but if I start have issues like the OP I will disable the steering wheel controls.

pfflyer
05-19-2018, 12:48 PM
What year chassis, is it an RV and do you have and is it a aftermarket radio?

Roger D
05-19-2018, 01:41 PM
I have a 2016 Navion (2015 3500 chassis) and I have a recall notice, that I have ignored, that wants to disable the steering wheel controls because of potential ECU malfunctions. So far everything is working fine, but if I start have issues like the OP I will disable the steering wheel controls.
It is an RV with A/M navigation/radio.