PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying 2016 or 2017 - 2500 Sprinter

Giver123
02-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Two years ago I put $2500 into my engine and now it looks like I might have to put a good chunk of money into the rear which went bad yesterday. Just kicking the can but might buy a new one.

I would be looking for the same exact model that I have now. That would be a 2500 with 144'' wheelbase, diesel, no windows side panels or rear doors. Just a cargo van.
Has anyone bought anything like this lately? And if so were you able to negotiate dealer purchase price? Also, what did you pay for the same thing I'm looking for?

Second question: is it reasonable for me to think I can get a good price for my 2007 Dodge Sprinter with just under 160,000 miles and with a bad rear? I've always taken great care of it and changing oil, air and oil filters every 10,000 miles. In May 2015 had my Mercedes dealer replace both intake manifolds, oil cooler and little washer rubber parts under according to Dennis's recommendations.

Thank you group!

Rob S
02-20-2017, 02:57 PM
My opinion, to sell it, you need to fix it first. If I was looking to buy, I would want a pretty big discount if I could not test drive to confirm everything is working properly.

Once you do fix it, it becomes a matter of money.

Despite the repair costs, which you have now already paid, it will most likely be cheaper to keep what you have for a while longer. The initial depreciation and taxes when you buy new come off the top.

Unlike other cars, for Sprinters it is usually pretty hard to find slightly used models where someone else has taken the hit for that.

On the other hand, if you can afford a new one, and would like to have one, then why not??

Giver123
02-20-2017, 05:28 PM
My opinion, to sell it, you need to fix it first. If I was looking to buy, I would want a pretty big discount if I could not test drive to confirm everything is working properly.

Once you do fix it, it becomes a matter of money.

Despite the repair costs, which you have now already paid, it will most likely be cheaper to keep what you have for a while longer. The initial depreciation and taxes when you buy new come off the top.

Unlike other cars, for Sprinters it is usually pretty hard to find slightly used models where someone else has taken the hit for that.

On the other hand, if you can afford a new one, and would like to have one, then why not??

I agree with you that if I can get it fixed at a reasonable cost then I'm sure I can at least get a couple more years out of it. That would be good because it really is a good truck only because I took such good care of it.

On the other hand I can afford to buy a new Sprinter. But what my concern is now with Mr. president Donald Trump stating that there is going to be a 35% tax. I'm now wondering if were going to get hit with that tax or is Mercedes-Benz going to start manufacturing here as Ford and others have. This is the big question concerning me making the leap for a new Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Please let me know what you think about the border tax and if anyone else was to chime in.

Thank you!

Nhuskys
02-21-2017, 01:40 AM
I agree with you that if I can get it fixed at a reasonable cost then I'm sure I can at least get a couple more years out of it. That would be good because it really is a good truck only because I took such good care of it.

On the other hand I can afford to buy a new Sprinter. But what my concern is now with Mr. president Donald Trump stating that there is going to be a 35% tax. I'm now wondering if were going to get hit with that tax or is Mercedes-Benz going to start manufacturing here as Ford and others have. This is the big question concerning me making the leap for a new Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Please let me know what you think about the border tax and if anyone else was to chime in.

Thank you!

Call Sun Motorcars near Harrisburg and see what they will do for you. In 2013 I traded my '08 with 250,000 miles, on a new '14. I got a great trade in and they discounted the new van.

There is already a border tax/tariff on European trucks, that's why US Sprinters are fully assembled in Germany and then partially disassembled into "Knockdown kits". They are then shipped to the US and final assembly is done at Freightliner plant in SC. They avoid the border tax/tariff this way. It will be more economical though, when the bring assembly to the US....

wing commander
02-21-2017, 04:02 AM
If you can fix the rear do it,I was able to replace my 2012 with two 2015's for tax reasons Dec 14,Jan15 and one has 58,000 daily driver trouble free,and the other has 14,000 trouble free. They are 4cyl. 144" high roof. I believe if you have enough money and parking you will love to keep the Dodge with the repaired rear and drive the new one as a weekend van. When I get the itch to travel it is always waiting in the garage and I switch with the work van and can be on my way in short notice. Just think how nice to not unload tools and such for every trip. Since my bike stuff is kept in one I am able to escape on more half day after work rides and have longer weekend trips.160,000 Miles is still new if you think about the miles most make it to. My Chevy did 242,000 trouble free before I sold it because of the peeling paint.

Giver123
02-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Call Sun Motorcars near Harrisburg and see what they will do for you. In 2013 I traded my '08 with 250,000 miles, on a new '14. I got a great trade in and they discounted the new van.

There is already a border tax/tariff on European trucks, that's why US Sprinters are fully assembled in Germany and then partially disassembled into "Knockdown kits". They are then shipped to the US and final assembly is done at Freightliner plant in SC. They avoid the border tax/tariff this way. It will be more economical though, when the bring assembly to the US....

Nhuskys, great info thank you so very much!!

Giver123
02-21-2017, 08:11 AM
If you can fix the rear do it,I was able to replace my 2012 with two 2015's for tax reasons Dec 14,Jan15 and one has 58,000 daily driver trouble free,and the other has 14,000 trouble free. They are 4cyl. 144" high roof. I believe if you have enough money and parking you will love to keep the Dodge with the repaired rear and drive the new one as a weekend van. When I get the itch to travel it is always waiting in the garage and I switch with the work van and can be on my way in short notice. Just think how nice to not unload tools and such for every trip. Since my bike stuff is kept in one I am able to escape on more half day after work rides and have longer weekend trips.160,000 Miles is still new if you think about the miles most make it to. My Chevy did 242,000 trouble free before I sold it because of the peeling paint.

wing commander, my thinking exactly. My 07 Sprinter has been in almost every National Park and from the Atlantic side of Canada to the Pacific side of Canada. But of course I had to unload the tools as you mentioned and converted it into a rough camper. I'm sure a lot of us Sprinter owners in this fourm can tell the same story. Not sure if I want to pay for two insurance policy though. Great info thank you!!

wing commander
02-22-2017, 03:11 AM
You may find that the cost to add a new and then re quote the old is not that bad. My State Farm is less than $1,550.00 a year and if I lived in a less Metropolitan area (Miami-Broward County)it would be less cost.

Giver123
02-22-2017, 06:54 AM
You may find that the cost to add a new and then re quote the old is not that bad. My State Farm is less than $1,550.00 a year and if I lived in a less Metropolitan area (Miami-Broward County)it would be less cost.

That's about what I'm roughly paying for my old one now and I would think that would be about the same quote for a new one.

I test drove the four cylinder seven speed and the six-cylinder five-speed yesterday. I was very impressed with the four-cylinder but of course no payload back.