Rear went and ignition won't start

Giver123

Giver123
Hello group.

Problems today with my sprinter. It looks as though my rear went. Stopped at a red light and when it turned green I accelerated and heard a slamming noise they quickly pulled into an empty parking lot. When I put it in drive or reverse I get a winding noise from the rear. I looked under the truck why it was in drive and reverse and the drive shift spins into the rear but the rear is not engaging. What you think this entails moneywise?

Further on. The towing company put the sprinter in the driveway. The driver's window was down. I turned the ignition off. After chocking the wheels I proceeded to turn the ignition on so I can put the driver window back up. Problem, the key will not turn in the ignition and I wasn't able to start the engine nor was I able to put the window back up.
Is there a way I can get the ignition to work so I can start the engine back up?

Thank you group!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hello group.

... Problem, the key will not turn in the ignition and I wasn't able to start the engine nor was I able to put the window back up.
Is there a way I can get the ignition to work so I can start the engine back up?

Thank you group!
Is the gear selector in 'P'?

If not the key won't come out!

Keith.

Giver123

Giver123
Is the gear selector in 'P'?

If not the key won't come out!

Keith.
Yes, the gear is in park but I'm able to take the key out. The ignition is in the position to accept the key. When I insert the key the ignition won't turn at all. I'm able to use the keypod to lock and unlock the doors but that's it.

Giver123

Giver123
+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a guess.......but........Sorta sounds like the key was left on while it towed ??
I just got the truck to start up. This is what happened. After the tow truck driver released my Sprinter I turned the steering wheels all the way to the right as hard as I could and shut the ignition off. (If it was going to roll let it roll into the wall) Then I noticed the window was down and put the ignition key in the ignition but it would not turn only because the steering wheel was resisting force against it because the wheels were cocked all the way over to the right. Most of the night I've been knocking my brains out what happened. I just went to bed and when my head hit the pillow I realized the resisting force from the fully turned wheels is stopping the ignition from turning on. I jumped out of bed, pulled the steering wheel to the right a little bit and the key turn with the greatest of ease. I guess with all the excitement today I didn't realize what I did.

Anyway guys thanks for being there as always!!! Tomorrow morning when I get up I will ask you guys a few questions concerning what course I should take with the rear.

Good night!

Giver123

Giver123
Ding Ding Ding!
Suspect one of your axle shafts (half shafts) has sheered of the splines at the diff end.
Dennis
Mechanic
Thank you for chiming in, Dennis.

For the last couple of years whenever I put the truck in reverse I get a slamming noise from the rear. Any idea what that could be regarding your remarks of axle shaft? I know it has to be diagnosed but always respect your opinion.

Thank you!

showkey

I just got the truck to start up. This is what happened. After the tow truck driver released my Sprinter I turned the steering wheels all the way to the right as hard as I could and shut the ignition off. (If it was going to roll let it roll into the wall) Then I noticed the window was down and put the ignition key in the ignition but it would not turn only because the steering wheel was resisting force against it because the wheels were cocked all the way over to the right. Most of the night I've been knocking my brains out what happened. I just went to bed and when my head hit the pillow I realized the resisting force from the fully turned wheels is stopping the ignition from turning on. I jumped out of bed, pulled the steering wheel to the right a little bit and the key turn with the greatest of ease. I guess with all the excitement today I didn't realize what I did.

Anyway guys thanks for being there as always!!! Tomorrow morning when I get up I will ask you guys a few questions concerning what course I should take with the rear.

Good night!
You dodged a bullet.........that steering wheel jammed is the way the steering lock solenoid gears are damaged. Multiple posts on the repair or work around $$$$

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
As to the fix, I'd be looking for a complete used takeout rear axle.

Once it has made all those loud slamming noises, it might well be distorted, and repairing it might not last very long.

Giver123

Giver123
As to the fix, I'd be looking for a complete used takeout rear axle.

Once it has made all those loud slamming noises, it might well be distorted, and repairing it might not last very long.
I'm not going to use the think word because I know you're absolutely right, Rob. Hopefully I can find a decent rear somewhere to put in:bash:

Thanks again!

Top Bottom