PDA

View Full Version : +\- Redundant Aux Sound System

jpzeroday
02-19-2017, 03:05 PM
I find myself wanting to keep the factory head unit and audio..:

But the stereo output stinks.

Goal=keep Stock, have great audio both while underway and when parked, easy to control and access from driver's position.

Idea:
1) install a single DIN (old standard smaller sized) head unit in the slot just above the pull out cup holders in the center stack.

2) install separate speakers for that head unit.

Thoughts?

hein
02-19-2017, 03:25 PM
I would suggest upgrading the door speakers first. You can go up to a 6 3/4" Coax or component system using our speaker adapters. You can get amplifiers that will accept speaker level inputs from your OEM head unit. You may not need an amp if you choose a 4 ohm speaker with lower wattage requirements and higher sensitivity.

Adding a 10" sub using our panel would extend the base and let you thump better. You can disconnect the center dash speaker and use those leads as inputs for a sub amp. Having a sub with amp will keep your head unit from using up all its power to produce the bass tones so your whole system will be louder overall.

ManVan
02-24-2017, 05:50 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Now, as a musician, I know a decent amount about PS systems, amps, etc... But I don't know much about car audio.

I assume that I really just need a decent power amp, then some decent speakers, then a way to bridge the systems. I bet there's no line-out for the factory stereo, either. As the other post mentioned -- an amp that accepts the speaker level output is probably going to be best. I was thinking that I would build a panel and mount it in the back with the power amp(s) and power hookup -- maybe add a lithium ion motorcycle battery for a power buffer and then I can invert off that and/or power other devices.

Replacing existing speakers is probably going to happen -- good to know the possible speaker dimensions.