I can't win. Really. Misfire

MCOSprinter

So today while stuck I decide to work on the list of items the van needs. Fixed 2 diesel
Leaks that showed up the past week and decided to replace the glow plugs. Heated engine up and applied PB blaster. Removed passenger side front glow plug. Replaced. Moved on the second plug - middle one passenger side. Was difficult so I decided to install all the removed items for access and heat the engine up. It's cold here and I'm @ a Walmart. Everyone has to get involved so I'm constantly stopping. No issues removed and installed
That one. Same issue with the passenger rear glow plug. Install all removed items and fired her up. Sounded like boots in a dryer - smoke everywhere and misfire cylinder number 1. I tripled
Checked everything however the glow plug has obvoius damage. Replace with a new plug - same issues.

What the eff could have gone wrong? I
Only ran it long enough to hide amongst the customers cars for the night. It's slightly better at higher rpm but feels like it's going to blow up

On the OBD side it's only tossed one error code for misfire

On the MB SIDE of my scanner it pops
2113-001 misfiring detection cylinder 1 - the number of misfires is too high

Any help please. I can't take any more issues. I've got precious little time
Left
And I want to enjoy life.

MCOSprinter

Very Doubtful the cause of the issue - same part number as removed, 2007-2012 use 4.4 volt and not the 7.0 volt and it worked for 30k miles so would you be a little more specific. According to bosch website they dont make a glow plug for the vehicle - sigh but then again their diesel injectors work for a 2007 Dodge Sprinter and do NOT work on a 2007 Freightliner Sprinter - nothing like excellence in web design. However 1000's of online shops show this to be the correct part.

Also for some reason Bosch starters only work on Dodge and not freightliner and same goes for 1/2 of the wiper blades they sell. Shrug.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Very Doubtful the cause of the issue - same part number as removed, 2007-2012 use 4.4 volt and not the 7.0 volt and it worked for 30k miles so would you be a little more specific. According to bosch website they dont make a glow plug for the vehicle - sigh but then again their diesel injectors work for a 2007 Dodge Sprinter and do NOT work on a 2007 Freightliner Sprinter - nothing like excellence in web design. However 1000's of online shops show this to be the correct part.

Also for some reason Bosch starters only work on Dodge and not freightliner and same goes for 1/2 of the wiper blades they sell. Shrug.
I'm not sure how engine parts could work on one branded Sprinter and not on another since the engine is identical.

With respect to the glow plugs, it appears that the tips are bent which may have been what Eric was referring to. Are they bent or is that just an illusion in the picture? If the former then they are the wrong parts, no other possible explanation that I can think of.

MCOSprinter

On a side note - just discovered Amazon sold me the incorrect controller in 2015. it's 7 volts no wonder I'm chewing up glow plugs. replaced it with a brand new Mercedes one.

MCOSprinter

I'm not sure how engine parts could work on one branded Sprinter and not on another since the engine is identical.

With respect to the glow plugs, it appears that the tips are bent which may have been what Eric was referring to. Are they bent or is that just an illusion in the picture? If the former then they are the wrong parts, no other possible explanation that I can think of.
the Bent is the damage I was referring. It started off straight.

I was attempting to show how poorly Bosch's website is made. the oem glow plugs are bosch yet their site does not offer a glow plug at all for sprinters.

Last edited:

smiller

FWIW here are the markings on the box of the correct Bosch glow plug for my 2007 OM642 V6. I get them from SD Euro parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

sailquik

Where did you purchase the glow plugs that were bent?
Another reason why authorized MB/Freightliner dealers need the VIN # before they
sell you any parts.
+ 1 on EuroParts SD.....Steve has done his homework on Sprinter vans.
I'd hate to see what the tip of the glow plug did to the piston it was
banging against enough to bend/mushroom it to the condition shown in the photo.
"1,000's of online shops are obviously wrong, or the online shop where you purchased the
wrong glow plugs was wrong.
Roger

smiller

I think your problems and confusion have resulted from getting all kinds of incorrect information from resellers. Sprinters can be tough to fit and if you order based on what Amazon or a generic website or auto parts shop says you are asking for problems, and yes, even thousands of websites can be wrong or parts can be improperly packaged, etc. As Roger notes the safest thing to do is order only from a dealer based on VIN or one of the few specialty Sprinter-specific parts sites that know what they are doing.

Last edited:

MCOSprinter

Another reason why authorized MB/Freightliner dealers need the VIN # before they
sell you any parts.
"1,000's of online shops are obviously wrong, or the online shop where you purchased the
Roger

not sure why anyone says Ive got the wrong plugs. Ive got 250-403-008 which is the exact one in the picture posted. So why are mine wrong again ?

MCOSprinter

sell you any parts.
Roger

Where did I purchase bent glowplugs? Nowhere. Read the post before responding. these are the correct plugs and something happened. Yawn another shameless plug for no reason other than to keyboard warrior and be dead wrong. Ive got the correct glowplugs and I see how things can be very misleading ... Just look how horribly misinformed and inaccurate your response was.:popcorn:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Where did I purchase bent glowplugs? Nowhere. Read the post before responding. these are the correct plugs and something happened. Yawn another shameless plug for no reason other than to keyboard warrior and be dead wrong. Ive got the correct glowplugs and I see how things can be very misleading ... Just look how horribly misinformed and inaccurate your response was.:popcorn:

:eek:

Eric Experience

Mcosprinter.
Please post a photo of one of your original glow plugs with one of the new ones placed parallel with the tapered seat lined up. Thanks Eric.

smiller

Also please check the part number imprinted on the glow plug vs. the part number on the box.

smiller

This is very strange. I can say with certainty that the Bosch number is correct as I just installed some a few days ago. The engine covers are still off so I just went out and pulled one and verified that it is visually identical to the original BERU plug that came out, plus the engine has been run since installation and there is no damage to the Bosch plug.

:thinking:

Your picture link seems broken so I can't see it, is the number imprinted on the plug also 250-403-008 ?

Last edited:

Top Bottom