Bad fuel leak need help

Mtn Tamer

Started my van today and fuel was pouring out on to the ground. It's coming from the front of the motor, front left to be precise. Above the turbo. It's not the fuel lines. It's like it's coming out of the bottom of the injection pump. At least that is what I think it's called. Any ideas on what this could be?

surlyoldbill

In my 2003, the OM612 engine, that happened and it was the high pressure fuel pump seals. After the engine warmed up the leak stopped. It happened every morning and it was a significant leak. I purchased a used HP pump with a year guaranty and it worked perfectly. There is a seal kit to repair the HP pump, but the last time I looked into it the supplier was sold out. Elsewhere on the forum there is a link to a source for this $40-70 kit of three seals; maybe in the "write-ups" T1N section.

It looks like a rebuilt is $600 and a new one is $900 on ebay.

Fairly easy replacement, a few hours for a first-timer.

misterbond10

Yep the high pressure fuel pump has a history of the bolts coming loose. Fix is easy, all you need is loctite. If i remember right you may want to buy new O-rings for it if It has any while you've got it apart

I think there is a special thread about this by doctor A, one of his tech alerts, i thought it was for the OM647 version though

Last edited:

Snugging the bolts on the OM647 fuel pump requires fuel pump removal, but not dis-assembly. The bolts are removed one at time with thread lock compound applied before re-installation. The OM647 internal seals seem to provide long service, even after the bolts are snugged.

The OM612 engine high pressure pump doesn't generally suffer from the bolts loosening. The internal seals are often the source of a high pressure pump fuel leak. As has been mentioned, the seals can be replaced DIY. Doktor A offers an OM612 exchange pump that has a few other issues checked/addressed, not just seal replacement.

vic

Mtn Tamer

Thanks guys for the help. That has to be it because it stops leaking after it is warm. What do I need to remove to get to the pump? Dose any one have a picture of the pump?

surlyoldbill

Mtn Tamer, in order to better help you, we need to know the year of your vehicle. We don't want to give you advice for the OM612 when you have an OM647, and vice versa.

The fuel pump for the OM612 looks like a metal triangle. You can go to EuropartsSD or ebay and search for "sprinter fuel pump" and see the different pumps.

Top Bottom