PDA

View Full Version : Best shock absorbers for 2010 2500 Cargo

flman
02-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Title says it all, which shocks give the best damping action?

vnvet
02-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Title says it all, which shocks give the best damping action?

These are what I just installed after much reading about whats out there. At 231k my suspension was completely shot. After just installing the rears myself (30 min. max) I was blown away how well the van drove and reacted to various conditions. A week later I had the dealer install the fronts along with all new brakes. Not having ever known what a new Sprinter drove like, I am very impressed at how it handles, corners, turns on a dime and the smoothness. I considered KYB's and Bilsteins having used them on my other rigs but I wanted the best for my daily driving work van. You get what you pay for, no compromising on Koni from Ultra RV, the techs there are very knowledgeable.
I plan on installing an auxiliary anti-sway bar in front of the axle for increased stability against wind shear.

Rear shocks Koni FSD 8805-1047 $320.00 (2)
Front struts Koni Heavy Track 87-2657 $430.00 (2)

flman
02-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks, after a little searching around other sites, I also would like to go with Koni adjustabe shocks in the rear to take the bounce out of my air bags. Are yours adjustable, and where did you get them?

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
02-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Agile Offload has the Fox shocks that beat the Koni's any day.

Koni's had their day and too many had issues with reliability and service, besides their price.

The Fox shocks seem to be the best we have available at the present time. It is great to have more options for each of us to consider than we have had in the past. Food for thought and for all it is worth. To each his own. Thanks to all here.

flman
02-12-2017, 05:08 PM
vnvet, what model and year Sprinter do you have?

flman
02-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Agile Offload has the Fox shocks that beat the Koni's any day.

Koni's had their day and too many had issues with reliability and service, besides their price.

The Fox shocks seem to be the best we have available at the present time. It is great to have more options for each of us to consider than we have had in the past. Food for thought and for all it is worth. To each his own. Thanks to all here.

No listing for Sprinter fox shocks?

http://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=truck&t=shocks&ref=topnav

Baxis
02-12-2017, 05:58 PM
I went from koni to autoparts generic store brand and learned only one thing.
Changing Shocks/Struts is the same as changing the oil, you might have a preference to the brand but the more often you change them, the better.

02-12-2017, 07:48 PM
flman, my 06 2500 shc 158" model is headed to Agile in the near future. I am fortunate to have them nearby. They are addressing a serious lack of choices for our sprinter vans and good on them.

Koni's have had their day. Most had to set those up to the maximum setting. What does that tell you? It says to me that the Koni's are just barely worthy of their price, if even that.

Where do you go when the Koni's fail or need more damping? The reports of trouble with them standing behind their product has been enough to not make me want to chance using them.

Time will tell, but the new offerings hold more hope than the Koni's ever did.

Contact Agile Offroad and let us know what you find out for yourself and your particular model. I will do the same, when I get in touch with them this coming week.

OrioN
02-12-2017, 08:01 PM
flman, my 06 2500 shc 158" model is headed to Agile in the near future. I am fortunate to have them nearby. They are addressing a serious lack of choices for our sprinter vans and good on them.

Koni's have had their day. Most had to set those up to the maximum setting. What does that tell you? It says to me that the Koni's are just barely worthy of their price, if even that.

Where do you go when the Koni's fail or need more damping? The reports of trouble with them standing behind their product has been enough to not make me want to chance using them.

Time will tell, but the new offerings hold more hope than the Koni's ever did.

Contact Agile Offroad and let us know what you find out for yourself and your particular model. I will do the same, when I get in touch with them this coming week.
Curious here JC, as it is not really clear....

... have you owned a pair either the Koni or Fox shocks on your Sprinter?

02-12-2017, 10:42 PM
As I expressed earlier, I will be checking in with Agile soon, so, no, all I have to go on are the reports from other owners who have rallied behind their Fox shocks and others who have had service problems with their Koni's when they tanked. The Koni's were the favored option at one time when they were all we had to choose from.

The market place always wins out. The more choices the better. Perhaps it will spur Koni to address their short comings, whether it be durability or service from them.

I will try to report back with whatever I can learn. Everyday is a learning experience and I am in the school of life forever.

I have always appreciated the difference that the Koni's have reportedly made. It appears we now have another to choose from. Some who have had service reliability issues and who gave up and went with the Fox shocks, sound like they have found a better product. That is all we have to go on for now.

If the Koni's are the best thing since sliced bread, then good on them. If the Fox shocks turn out to be comparable and even better, then good on them. We now have a viable choice. Use it or not.

It might be good competition for Koni to address whatever issues some have had with their service. The best thing is more choices are now available. We are in agreement that the factory set up needs a better product. We now have more choices. Thanks to all here.

vnvet
02-13-2017, 02:13 PM
vnvet, what model and year Sprinter do you have?

Look at my signature.

The rears are not adjustable, don't need them to be. Purchased from Ultra RV.

flman
02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Almost $700 for a set of Fox shocks, Koni's will be fine.

keepmoving
02-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Van Compass can specifically tune a set of standard rear 2.0" Fox shocks to your van's weight and desired ride.

The rear Fox shocks are tuned after we discuss your van build and use. Fox does not offer a bolt in shock. We change out bushings, sleeves and the inner valve discs to make the generic off the shelf shock work on a Sprinter. If you are carrying a heavy load or have a camper conversion we will tune the shocks accordingly. If you have a light build or unloaded van with a harsh rear ride, we tune to smooth out the ride. The Fox rear shocks will help reduce back and forth sway, smooth out the ride over small sharp bumps and the tune ramps up damping on large bumps to reduce bottoming out and uncontrolled bounce. The shocks are a gas pressurized design. The oil and nitrogen gas are separated by a floating piston to eliminate oil cavitation at high temperatures during off road use. They are a bolt in replacement, easily installed. The shocks are also rebuildable. We can replace all the ware items in a Fox 2.0 shock and the oil for less than $50. We have had no issues with the Fox shocks so far. We have replaced many leaking and dead Koni shocks with Fox and Bilstein units.

At $350 a set, the standard rear Fox shocks are not much more expensive than a set of Konis. We offer a free re-tune if you decide you want a softer or more damped ride. We can rebuild the shocks if a seal ever wears out. Making these the last pair of shock you buy.

LINK (https://vancompass.com/collections/sprinter-2007/products/fox-racing-shock-rear-sprinter-2wd-2007-pair)

flman
02-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Already ordered Koni's, wish you had showed up a little sooner.

calbiker
02-15-2017, 11:03 PM
I agree Fox shocks make a significant improvement in slow speed rocking over Konis. But your link states they "smooth out the harshness experienced on washboard roads and sharp, abrupt impacts". I haven't seen washboards being any smoother with Fox. My MH still rattles like crazy when going over sashboards. Do you have data?

At $350 a set, the standard rear Fox shocks are not much more expensive than a set of Konis. We offer a free re-tune if you decide you want a softer or more damped ride. We can rebuild the shocks if a seal ever wears out. Making these the last pair of shock you buy.

LINK (https://vancompass.com/collections/sprinter-2007/products/fox-racing-shock-rear-sprinter-2wd-2007-pair)

flman
02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Now Agile makes me this offer?

For your application, I would use our Fox IFP shocks. These also have our custom valving and cost $139.99 ea. We have been doing installs with these on Sprinters for months now and every customer has been really surprised on how much of an improvement they have made. They have only been using them for months, so time will tell, can they put out that much better of a product than Koni for the same price?

keepmoving
02-16-2017, 04:45 PM
I agree Fox shocks make a significant improvement in slow speed rocking over Konis. But your link states they "smooth out the harshness experienced on washboard roads and sharp, abrupt impacts". I haven't seen washboards being any smoother with Fox. My MH still rattles like crazy when going over sashboards. Do you have data?

It all depends on the tune that is put into the shocks. Reading your past posts, I assume you wanted Agile to make the van rock back and forth less. Agile probably put very little bleed and a heavy tune in the shocks to accomplish this on your motorhome. There are tradeoffs if you tune for one extreme. We try our best to tune the shocks to make washboards smoother, dampen large hits and control back and forth sway. I know from real driver seat testing that our tunes help smooth out washboard roads and we get a postive feedback on the shocks we sell.

calbiker
02-16-2017, 09:34 PM
That's correct Agile tuned the slow speed damping to its max. I need all the slow speed damping I can get. I could still use more! I have an accelerometer that I use to calculate damping using lograthmic decrement. Don't know if it's attainable, but 0.2 would be nice to have. With stock shocks damping is less than 0.1! The chassis can rock for 4 periods. With Fox I'm at 0.158. There's a huge difference is stability.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/2nd_Order_Damping_Ratios.svg

I'm not sure the high speed damping (what we see on washboards) is significantly affected by increasing the slow speed damping. Those are two different scenarios. The chassis rocks at a period of 1 second. We might see periods in the millisecond region when hitting washboard bumps at 20 mph. In other words, on a dyno graph, the shock piston is traveling at high velocities when hitting washboard bumps, meaning both your shock and my shock exhibit the same high speed damping.

I also think the shock plays a minor role in impacts (short time period of force). The dominate player are the springs. I don't think they are moving much from an impact force.

The way the shocks are mounted on my T1N, they become ineffective. The top mount is just 8.5" from center of chassis. There isn't much movement when one wheel hits a bump. That's part of the reason the T1N needs excessive damping.

I've learned to take it with a grain of salt when people claim improvements a product makes.

It all depends on the tune that is put into the shocks. Reading your past posts, I assume you wanted Agile to make the van rock back and forth less. Agile probably put very little bleed and a heavy tune in the shocks to accomplish this on your motorhome. There are tradeoffs if you tune for one extreme. We try our best to tune the shocks to make washboards smoother, dampen large hits and control back and forth sway. I know from real driver seat testing that our tunes help smooth out washboard roads and we get a postive feedback on the shocks we sell.

MCOSprinter
02-17-2017, 10:14 AM
I went Koni red all the way around and what a dramatic improvement. Install was easy and took me less than 2 hours on my 2007 170+ 2500. And I got a smoking deal due a website error. All 4 units for $425 ish delivered.

flman
02-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Put my Koni adjustable shocks in today. I set them 1 1/2 turns from soft, they work fine. Also found out one of the OE gas shocks was dead flat.

flman
03-02-2017, 11:52 AM
I now have my Koni's adjusted 1/2 turn from the softest setting for the best handling around turns, so much for every one has them set to maximum firmness.