Question about Steering Knock and Struts

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Hi Folks,

I've had a chronic crunch/knock in my steering since about 30k miles. I've read many, many threads on this, and know others have had similar issues. In a nutshell; my van makes a knocking noise when I go over small bumps, at low speed (like parallel parking, or pulling into a gas station, etc). I had the steering rack changed under a goodwill warranty at about 50,000 miles, which helped for a while, but the noise came back after about 7-8000 miles. I haven't done anything to correct it again, now at 75,000 miles, other than tightening up a bit on the pinion lash nut. As it is now, if I put the van in park with the motor running and turn the wheel lock-to-lock there is an audible stutter or knock that can be felt in the steering wheel each rotation.

I took it to a different (and quite reputable) Mercedes Sprinter shop for an unbiased opinion and their tech put it up on the lift and reported back he believes it's struts. Not the rack at all. Hmmmm. :hmmm:

So, does this sound plausible? I know very little about steering and suspension. Perhaps I've been chasing the wrong problem all along? But would struts go bad after such low mileage on a van that gets fairly delicate use?

In any case, the shop want $979.00 to replace the struts. Does this sound reasonable? I've read on here where others do this job themselves, but I don't have the ability living in NYC with no place to pull a van apart, even for a short time.

Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

-Kenny

lindenengineering

Try an upgrade to the sway bar bushes and U clamps first!
Available from the dealer
They also requires new allen style bolts as part of the loose kit instead of the regular hex bolts which were factory installed.
At the same time replace the sway bar links left and right available again from the dealer or from Napa.
This should resolve the issue.
Dennis
Mechanic

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
How many miles on the struts?? You might want to take a look at the top strut mounts to see if they are failing and allowing lateral movement...and knocking sound. This is an easy do from inside the cab.
As far as replacement, you might want to try a professional truck frame and alignment shop that has experience with Sprinters (i.e. how many done in past month or 6 month; also, do they service any fleet operators Sprinters??)
Just my $0.02///Ed

OOpps: crossed with Dennis..do what he says first.

Last edited:

moondawg14

Hi Folks,

I've had a chronic crunch/knock in my steering since about 30k miles. I've read many, many threads on this, and know others have had similar issues. In a nutshell; my van makes a knocking noise when I go over small bumps, at low speed (like parallel parking, or pulling into a gas station, etc). I had the steering rack changed under a goodwill warranty at about 50,000 miles, which helped for a while, but the noise came back after about 7-8000 miles. I haven't done anything to correct it again, now at 75,000 miles, other than tightening up a bit on the pinion lash nut. As it is now, if I put the van in park with the motor running and turn the wheel lock-to-lock there is an audible stutter or knock that can be felt in the steering wheel each rotation.

I took it to a different (and quite reputable) Mercedes Sprinter shop for an unbiased opinion and their tech put it up on the lift and reported back he believes it's struts. Not the rack at all. Hmmmm. :hmmm:

So, does this sound plausible? I know very little about steering and suspension. Perhaps I've been chasing the wrong problem all along? But would struts go bad after such low mileage on a van that gets fairly delicate use?

In any case, the shop want $979.00 to replace the struts. Does this sound reasonable? I've read on here where others do this job themselves, but I don't have the ability living in NYC with no place to pull a van apart, even for a short time.

-Kenny
Just had mine replaced with 85k miles on the clock. I had a persistent small-bump clunnk from driver's side (I could feel it in my left foot too) When I was having my tires changed, tire place called and said left front strut was knackered. I had them replace (cost was near $1000) and it's quiet and tracks consistently straight on the highway now.

Ride is noticeably improved as well. Replacement was a Monroe Gas-charged strut.

You can buy the strut MUCH cheaper online than the repair guys will sell it to you for. If you bought the struts and carried them in to a mechanic and asked them to install, you could almost half your price, I bet.

Cvollmar

If you get aftermarket struts make sure you also get new top bushings. I have changed at least 20 sets in the past two years due to this problem some as early as 30k also have had a few sway bar issues as Dennis said. Have also had to change a half dozen or so ball joints that are supposed to last forever. The ball blows the cap on top of the ball joint off so that you can actually see it.

I had the same problem on my van at around 40,000 miles of good road driving.
It ended up being the front ball joints. Replaced them and sound was gone.

I know I'm from MD, but know NYC VERY VERY well. 30,000 miles on a vehicle there is really like 100,000 anywhere else. Haven't taken my NCV there yet but the times I took my T1N there it seemed like I had a new noise each time. I changed the ball joints and same noise was still there. Slight knock on bumps. So possibly rule that out...

vnvet

Try an upgrade to the sway bar bushes and U clamps first!
Available from the dealer
They also requires new allen style bolts as part of the loose kit instead of the regular hex bolts which were factory installed.
At the same time replace the sway bar links left and right available again from the dealer or from Napa.
This should resolve the issue.
Dennis
Mechanic
NOT if they are imported garbage Commie parts from NAPA. Lessons learned more than once.

vnvet

Hi Folks,

-Kenny
Mine is at the dealership now getting the OE brakes w/231k on them replaced. I bought top of the line HD red KONI struts and HD gold shocks on line at a discount. I put on the rear shocks myself very simple and took 30mins. HUGE difference.

MB is installing the struts and also checking linkage and bearings. $120.00/hr labor in Bellingham, WA. I'm guessing that's about the going rate dealerships charge. I would have done it all but I want the "bulk" of the work documented to my VIN for future reference.

I'll be getting it back today and report the difference if my "clunk" is gone.

Last edited:

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
I know I'm from MD, but know NYC VERY VERY well. 30,000 miles on a vehicle there is really like 100,000 anywhere else. Haven't taken my NCV there yet but the times I took my T1N there it seemed like I had a new noise each time. I changed the ball joints and same noise was still there. Slight knock on bumps. So possibly rule that out...
Ha! I agree, NYC is tough on all vehicles. But in fact my van is only used on long trips outside the city (it is a hauler for our racing motorcycles, going to tracks all over the country). Almost all the miles I put on it are "highway" miles - I've probably only put a thousand miles on it in the city, just getting in and out of our shop. But 1000 miles of potholes and cobblestones is brutal, no doubt

I do like the strut diagnosis - it fits nicely with my wallet! But wouldn't a reputable Mercedes Sprinter shop be able to suss that out? I guess what I'm asking is... should I question their diagnosis?

-Kenny

RT.SS

My van had very similar symptoms when it was around 30-40K miles; I sprayed a penetrating oil lubricant on the steering wheel column u-joint a couple of times, it’s the 1st linkage before the steering column enters the firewall. The clunking noise immediately stopped and hasn’t returned since then, I have now 70K + miles in my RV. Try that first, it’s easy and cheap.

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
My van had very similar symptoms when it was around 30-40K miles; I sprayed a penetrating oil lubricant on the steering wheel column u-joint a couple of times, it’s the 1st linkage before the steering column enters the firewall. The clunking noise immediately stopped and hasn’t returned since then, I have now 70K + miles in my RV. Try that first, it’s easy and cheap.
Thanks RT.SS

Certainly something easy enough to try while parked in the city.

-Kenny

sergeiosv

Читая о ваших ценах то аж страх У меня 315. 06 года Я стойки поменял в том году 16 весной так вот - цена стоек 2200 гривен и шаровые по 500 гривен + работа 600 гривен. Курс к долору 1-27. Вот и щитайте. 122$

Sprinter SS

Читая о ваших ценах то аж страх У меня 315. 06 года Я стойки поменял в том году 16 весной так вот - цена стоек 2200 гривен и шаровые по 500 гривен + работа 600 гривен. Курс к долору 1-27. Вот и щитайте. 122$
Exactly...right...!

Top Bottom