PDA

View Full Version : 2006 118" with broken latch on sliding door

Adam12
01-28-2017, 12:11 AM
I have a broken latch on my sliding door. The plastic is cracked and the door will not latch at all, just opens back up.
I am going to a junk yard in the morning. What year models have the same latch as the 2006 ?
Also
Is the rear door latch the same as the side sliding door. ?
Thanks in advance for any help :thinking:

autostaretx
01-28-2017, 03:45 AM
There are threads detailing taking the latch apart and repairing/rebuilding it (both handle/lock mechanism and the rear post-grabber)
Use the forum's Search box for "sliding door latch" (there was one fairly recently that may have shown your problem)

I *think* the handles (etc) are the same from 2002 through 2006.
There is a difference in the locking mechanism (where the door lock button engages) depending if you have electric locks or not.

It would require a troll through the parts catalog to answer your "are they the same side/rear?" question...
(i would be surprised if they were the same, but miracles happen...)
Parts catalogs and full service manuals are available for free download here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

--dick

hkpierce
01-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Sliding door latch should be the same for 2001-2006.

Rear door latches vary depending on whether you have a NAFTA built 2001-2003 or Dusseldorf built 2002-2003 van. You can only find NAFTA new parts. If at a junk yard, look for a thumb-activated lock hole/mechanism. If none - then it is good for your 2006 rear door.

orb
01-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Let me know if you find a junker Spinter around our vintage. Been looking for one in my scrapyards and no luck locally.

thanks
Orb

Adam12
01-30-2017, 12:34 AM
Went to a junk yard and picked up a front door passenger side latch from a 2007, Sprinter
2500C . With some modification I got it to work. had to grind down a tab that was sticking out and redrill a new hole for the door release cable.. Door Latches closed and door locks and unlocks with the remote... :thumbup: 18$ for the latch at the junk yard.

hkpierce
01-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Went to a junk yard and picked up a front door passenger side latch from a 2007, Sprinter
2500C . With some modification I got it to work. had to grind down a tab that was sticking out and redrill a new hole for the door release cable.. Door Latches closed and door locks and unlocks with the remote... :thumbup: 18$ for the latch at the junk yard.

Just to be clear - you got a NVC3 passenger door latch to work on which NAFTA T1N door? Above you were talking about your sliding door and rear door latches. The statement regarding the cable release implies the sliding door.

Adam12
01-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Just to be clear - you got a NVC3 passenger door latch to work on which NAFTA T1N door? Above you were talking about your sliding door and rear door latches. The statement regarding the cable release implies the sliding door.
Sorry for the confusion .! limited pickings at the junk yard
Yes I had a broken sliding door and asked if the rear door use the same latch. I ended up using a front passenger side door latch
I took the front passenger door latch from a cab style sprinter that had a closed cab and just a chassie which had to have a separate box attached at one point.. which I never seen before, on the outside passenger side door had a marking 2500 C.
the drivers door was inside the cab front seat with a sticker in the jamb that said 2007. The two pictures attached are from the broken latch removed from the sliding door. ( I didn't take a picture of the replacement latch taken from the front passenger door from the junk yard .So will try to describe what I did to replace. .On picture called latch 1 pic there is a note drawn in "Not to scale" - there was a piece of steel sticking out on the replacement latch, I ground that down with a grinder so it was flush with the bottom side of picture approximately 1/4 inch where the horizontal pin is attached in same location as replacement connected. The white piece of paper is to simulate a metal latch lever that was connected to the replacement latch that I am assuming was to release the lock when pulling on the passenger door outside handle , it also had a metal barrel connected to where the arrow is on the piece of paper.. on picture latch 2 you will see a pen placed in picure , that is where I had to drill out a hole to reattach the latch cable , with latch cable in the original hole the door latch would not release... For the record I have never seen a closed cab style sprinter before:hmmm:

Adam12
01-31-2017, 12:55 AM
Just a add. the replacement latch I used did not have the electronic lock module attached to it when I removed it, but it did have the plastic frame to hold on in place and my electronic module fit into it perfectly.It locks and unlocks perfectly.