Installing an ESPAR on Sprinter that never came with one

misterbond10

How hard would it be to install an OEM Espar heater (ripped off a salvage sprinter van) into a Sprinter that never had one from the factory?

Ive searched the forums but cant find an answer. This involves different fuel line routing correct? Anyone know what parts I would need for this? Am I better off buying a universal espar?

Thanks! :hugs:

Off the top of my pointy little head.

What is your intended use? Use for Booster Heat and Pre-heat only MAY not be too bad control wise by using DIY methods. Integrating into the ATC/OEM controls will be more involved.

Basic Installation.

Easy things.

Grab the OEM Espar electrical connector with reasonable wire tails.

Grab the OEM holding sheet metal U shape channel. One could be fabricated or perhaps some Stanley hardware L shape brackets could be adapted.

The inlet air and exhaust shouldn't be difficult.

Hose can be used to tie into the coolant circuit. When I reinstall my repaired Espar I plan to use hose. I anticipate that a 3/4" 90 degree elbow will be needed from the Aux Elec Pump outlet to the inlet of the Espar.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50483

A 25 amp dedicated 12 volt supply will be needed.

2 ea. 12 volt enable inputs will be needed to power up the Espar.

For other than Booster Heat mode a method to power the Aux Elec Coolant Pump will be needed.

A bit tougher...

An additional fuel tap from the tank will be needed.

Possibly the MB bastardized Espar controls will need to be satisfied. I'm not certain what that will entail, if anything.

vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
1. Don't count on that salvaged Espar actually working. I've worked on several and most of them had fried computers*
2. It is a very nice engine-off setup and you being in Ohio, much colder than where I am on a day-to-day basis, I'm sure the engine pre heating would be of great use
3. You will need to salvage all the coolant circuit lines or just put in your own. There will be at least one valve that will be different from yours compared to the salvaged coolant circuitry. In the OEM heater booster coolant circuitry the first 'stop' for the coolant from the heater is the Automatic Temp Control heat exchanger. I'm wondering if the plumbing is different on the ATC on yours compared to the spritners that have OEM Heater Booster configuration. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
4. If you can find a salvaged one with the Espar 7 day timer and rear-end heat exchanger it would be even better than most with just the OEM 'heater booster'. Better as in (.) (.)s better. I really wish I had the rear end heat exchanger in mine.
5. Vic is right on in that most folks have tapped into the REST Automatic Temperature Controller circuitry which you won't have, I don't believe at least, since you don't have the heater booster. Perhaps I'm wrong here. Not sure. That's okay though because you can feed 12V directly into the 'roller switch' and get all 4 vent settings compared to just the REST functionality which gives you a much lower fan speed. The reason for this is because the MB folks didn't want people to drain their starter batteries. But since you'll be routing this from your house bank you won't need to worry about your starter battery.
6. This will be a lot of work. You could get lucky and get a working salvaged Espar right off the bat, but I would plan on banging your head against the wall for a while on that front.

If I was doing this I would break the work into:

1. Getting a working Espar
2. Coolant Circuitry
3. Electrical Circuitry

In my humble opinion, you need to use all pins on SPDT to completely circumvent the electrical. In the mod diagram early on folks were simply feeding 12v into existing circuitry. And since you really want to wire this all from a house battery bank anyhow, you really should circumvent from starter to house anyhow....

Get ready for a very involved although very fun project! Keep us updated. I'd personally be interested in your approach to put in the rear heat exchanger.

* Almost forgot my *. There's a small chance that some of the Espars I worked on just needed the ECUs unlocked and I didn't know how to properly do it. I think I did it properly, but at the same time I've never had one that I knew was locked up and then unlocked it.......

Last edited:

Arnie_Oli

As vanski said I would get a working Espar first. Get it working on a bench and then work to install it.

Do non Espar sprinters have the 12v coolant pump on the firewall bulkhead?

I have two breaker's Espars. I also have a diagnostic unit specifically for Espar which I am going to pump into them via the power and diagnostic lines to interrogate the ECU.

My pump was shot so I am pretty sure my original Espar locked out due to overheating.

I am going to bench test my Espar units and report back on the diagnostic leads when I have tested them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
As vanski said I would get a working Espar first. Get it working on a bench and then work to install it.

Do non Espar sprinters have the 12v coolant pump on the firewall bulkhead?
Yes, non Espar Sprinters do have the 12V coolant pump. Its used for the "rest" function to circulate coolant from the engine through the heater core for about a half hour of cabin heat after engine shut down. What's missing though is the appropriate wiring harness and fuel tap for the Espar.

Gary

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Yes, non Espar Sprinters do have the 12V coolant pump. Its used for the "rest" function to circulate coolant from the engine through the heater core for about a half hour of cabin heat after engine shut down. What's missing though is the appropriate wiring harness and fuel tap for the Espar.

Gary
And what happens if you don't have eSpar or REST???

As an example REST is not a usual option on UK Sprinters, in fact I don't even know if it was ever an option :thinking:

Keith.

And what happens if you don't have eSpar or REST???

As an example REST is not a usual option on UK Sprinters, in fact I don't even know if it was ever an option :thinking:

Keith.
I think it also depends upon whether the OM647 engine has an EGR.

The NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 Sprinters have a coolant circuit that routes through the NAS required EGR.

I'm very convinced that the coolant circulation is to warm the EGR system passages to minimize condensation more than to cool anything.

To my knowledge REST is an option. I think that it is more common in the EGR equipped Sprinters because the Aux Elec Coolant pump is already there. That is a guess.

vic

Arnie_Oli

It could be a pain to install the fuel tap and lines but it could also be run from a secondary fuel tank if required.

I have seen Espar units running on a bench away from a wiring loom with only a few wires hooked up. I would be pretty confident adding the pump and unit from scratch having refit mine however I wonder have w much of the Mercedes Sprinter bits are missing if it was never fitted. Mine has coolant pipes running down the edge of the bonnet to the Espar and mounts to fit the unit. I am guessing that these are not on one that never had a heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro which means I am probably lying under the van wishing I had a crawler and a large warm workshop I could park in.

... it could also be run from a secondary fuel tank if required.

Some Espar experts recommend a day tank to avoid getting bio-fuel in the heater. It is reported that even small percentages of bio will cause coffee colored deposits on the internal combustion parts. It is very difficult to remove.

I have posted that there is a similar fuel fill/hose cavity on both sides of the Sprinters. The opposite side (LHD vs RHD) could be used to install an external fill port to a custom sized Espar tank. Taking it one step further, the Espar could then be fueled with kerosene. Using kerosene will pretty much eliminate any need for periodic cleaning.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom