2014 -7 speed transmission change ?

the dude

I've looked thru out ( search ) for correct BEVO listing for fluid numbers . My assumption is MB 236.15 ? . A blue color rather than the 5 speed color red ? . Amounts in quarts I need also . No torque convertor drain .:idunno:

Sprinter SS

It uses the Mercedes Benz ATF 134FE which is blue. It has a reduced viscosity for reduction of friction. There is several other manufacturers of it (Fuchs). I use the OEM which can be found online.

On the 722.9+ transmissions having 9 quarts on hand does it. It usually takes 7.5-7.8 quarts if you drain the torque converter as well. You need new bolts as well to hold the pan on, they are stretch spec magnesium and have a low torque setting (something like 4nm) going off memory. Obviously you need the filter and gasket as well.

I have a MB star diagnostics system but you can also measure transmission temp which determines the fluid level with a IR thermometer on the pan. It is usually within a 1f degree to what the Star says.

You can check the MB BEVO page for fluid compatability. It is MB 236.15

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-ATF-134-FE

the dude

Thanks for helping . I will be using " Shell134FE " from a local Shell distributor . $ 65.65 for 12 quarts . I am using a dipstick sold by Europarts for measuring on my I-4 .:thumbup:

lindenengineering

Thanks for helping . I will be using " Shell134FE " from a local Shell distributor . $ 65.65 for 12 quarts . I am using a dipstick sold by Europarts for measuring on my I-4 .:thumbup:
This had been discussed before!!
Search these forums and find a post by Carl (sprintguy) who took the time to explain some of the foibles and involved in this task. (he like some of us have had training and experience!)

I will only add use a genuine MB filter, as I read a help post on a (closed to general public) professional web site where a tech used an aftermarket filter & fluid with some "strange'; shifting characteristics which left his customer less than thrilled with the outcome.

Tales of the workshop

On that transmission I prefer to use a transmission fluid pump which injects the exact amount into the transmission through the drain plug at the right temperature !
I used to use it exclusively for Bavarian Money Wasters & Landrover /Fords/Chevs with the ZF transmission.
Now its re-purposed (multi purposed) for late MB's as well.

http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-mv...le_pla&scid=scplp6821325&sc_intid=MITMV6410&g

Also beware of cheap transmission dipstick imitations . One customer bought one to check his transmission only to have the plastic end tip fall off and was left caught up in the conductor plate!
Again I only use the "gen you wine" MB stick (five hand on the wall in the shop) all available from your friendly MB dealer.
And believe me on the whole they are friendlier than most!
BUT
Servicing vehices is getting far less friendly in the task dpertment than it used to be!
Dennis
Mechanic

sailquik

Guys,
When I buy a tool for use on my Mercedes Benz Sprinter (Freightliner Sprinters are exactly the
same and use exactly the same tools) I purchase the tool from my Mercedes Benz Authorized
Sprinter dealer.
You can see the EXTENSIVE list of special tools that are available from MB to make many of the
DIY tasks easier and simpler.
The list is on epc.startekinfo.com ($75.00/year subscription).
They may cost a bit more, but they also function far better than the cheaper knock offs.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I use a Shwaben pressure bleeder. Comes with all the various tips from Audi, BWM, and MB for filling the trans. If you don't have any leaks, there is no need for a dipstick if you fill it correctly at the right temperature. The trans doesn't use oil like the engine does, and oil levels are dependent on temp. So, checking the trans fluid without knowing the temp isn't going to tell you much.

Rotten Robbie

[/IMG]

I just did a transmission service on my 7 speed yesterday, and I'm a bit confused on how to check the level. -How do I know what the temperature is?
I bought a "green" handle dip stick from Euro parts of SD, and after adding eight liters of Fuchs fluid it did not register anything...
The kit came with 10 liters, so I added one more for a total of 9 liters now, and it is to the top of the 25° scale.
I did drain the the torque converter, and replaced the filter, and I'm checking while at idle after cycling thru the gears etc.

Last edited:

Sprinter SS

If you do not have access to the MB computer buy a infrared thermometer and shoot it at the trans pan. The temp will be within 1f of computer reading. If you have 8 qts in there I suspect you are a little over filled. On my wife's GL I measure what comes out as reference. About 7.8liters does it with torque convertor.

the dude

At what intervals ( miles ) should it be serviced . Can the torque converter be drained by a D.I.Y.'er . :idunno: . Can the dipstick pipe be used for a fill up ? .

Top Bottom