Espar D4

CheckMax

Hi all Espar users,

I have been contemplating a D2 install until a recent trip to Jackson WY where temperatures were consistently at or below 0F. Has about 5-6 days at -25F and many days at 0-10F. I have a 144 Hi Top Passenger. Will a D4 warm this puppy up in these temperatures? I am considering a D4 instead of a D2. Yes, I read the whole hi v. lo combustion rate concerns. The btu's are not that different at bottom two speeds. I like the fact this thing can crank at 13k+ btu in these kinds of temps and I can always run the heater at high once a month to clean out the "soot".

Any D4 users out there who can comment on experience? And if so where you placed the heater?

Any D2 users who have had experience at these temps with their heaters would be welcome also.

Thank you in advance...

Last edited:

sunnyside

The way your van is insulated is the deciding factor, if your fan is well insulated, walls, ceiling, AND floor a D2 would be optimal in a 144" my van is a 170" and I did not get obsessed with insulation so The D4 is nice at sub 0 temps. -25 is COLD.

dnshaf

Hey CheckMax,

I own a 2014 170 I4 with a D4. I must say that it is one of the best additions to my van by a lot! I have 1.5" Thinsulate with 1" foam board outside that and I travel across the country every month, sleeping in the van every night. I have seen -25 and near 0 quite a bit. I set it around 70 and when I get up in the morning its usually 62 inside, perfect! When I expect temps below 20 I add Howes diesel treatment to the fuel. Once I added it and forgot to run it into the Espar line and it wouldn't start at -13. When I got to a place around 0 it fired up.

Dan

CheckMax

Thanks Dan,
Is that typical performance to see temp below thermostat setting?
Do you have any photos you can share of your insulation? I am sorting through my options now as well.

dnshaf

It all depends on your insulation, I set it a little higher because I just have the stock vinyl on the floor.

Dan

sunnyside

Same with my van, no floor insulation, factory vinyl. I will have a 10 to 15 degree difference from the upper half and lower half of the interior temps in cold weather.

That's one more thing I like about the D4, it has a bigger fan and circulates the air possibly better.

I was also struggling with which size heater to go with. We live in a very cold climate and I am very happy we went with bigger heater (webasto evo 40) in our 144 high roof. It runs on high for 45mins to an hour when its really cold out, I'm not too worried about soot build up. It easily raises the temp in the van by 60+ degrees. It is mounted under the passenger seat (very tight fit due to swivel seat bases). Webasto also compensates for altitude automatically and has a great controller/timer (Smartemp controller). Webasto tech support is excellent!

Last edited:

CheckMax

Thanks for the comments. i like the idea of the D4 - more BTU (for sub-zero temps), bigger fan, lower fan speed (quieter).

Top Bottom