Aftermarket Stereo install with Factory Backup Camera

levinro

2016 Sprinter 144" 4x4 / 2021 Ford Transit
Hello - I am installing an aftermarket stereo, a Kenwood DDX9903S purchased from Crutchfield, and so far everything is going as planned. They provided good info for a first-timer car stereo installer. The phone support was also good for the few wires that were not documented or color-matched.

It seems like the problems that many other folks faced on this forum have been worked out in the harness and adapters that Crutchfield sells with the stereo. The stereo powered up right away and the steering controls worked the first time. :cheers:

However, I do have one gap. I have the factory backup camera that has the 2-wire FAKRA connector (pictured) and the stereo has a female RCA adapter (pictured) . I have found only 1 correctly gendered connector online http://www.vag-navisystems.com/video-rca-adapters/3057/video-adapter-rca-male-to-fakra-male/679?en=1 . It seems that a quicker and cheaper option is that I should be able to cannibalize an RCA cable I have lying around (pictured) and splice in the male RCA connector onto the factory backup camera wire my own connector.

Any thoughts or concerns before I cut the wire coming from the backup camera?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

65RagTop

instead of cutting the car side wiring maybe consider using a Metra 40EU10 antenna adapter and sacrificing that instead... just a thought

levinro

instead of cutting the car side wiring maybe consider using a Metra 40EU10 antenna adapter and sacrificing that instead... just a thought
That makes sense, the damage is less permanent if it doesn't work out. I found the Metra adapter you suggest on Amazon. Thanks!

the dude

I'm pondering going to aftermarket . What does that " metra connector " look like . I also have factory backup camera .:thinking::bow:

levinro

The sacrificial connector arrived last night. I spliced it in with the video plug, installed it and all was good. The only minor thing is that I had to set the parameter on the stereo to enable the camera interrupt so that it turned on when shifting into reverse.

Thanks for the suggestions. :drink:

Attachments

65RagTop

The sacrificial connector arrived last night. I spliced it in with the video plug, installed it and all was good. The only minor thing is that I had to set the parameter on the stereo to enable the camera interrupt so that it turned on when shifting into reverse.

Thanks for the suggestions. :drink:
I am glad it worked out for you... always better to keep factory integrity when possible in my opinion

looks great... nice job!!

Top Bottom