cost of a oil change?

lucas

Just had my first oil and filter replaced...Wow still in shock at the cost, think the next one will be a DIY.
I live in Canada so maybe we get leaned on extra hard but...This is how it breaks down.

5175571-AA oil filter 46.50
68001334-AA oil 164.40
5175429-AB fuel filter 169.85
shop supplies 17.05
disposal fee 2.50
labor 143.15
total 543.45 plus tax

Is this what all the dealers are charging? Is it a big rip off or is this the going rate?
The work was done at Carter Chrysler in Burnaby BC

Builderrdu

Builderrdu
WOW!!! I am sooo sorry they took you to the cleaners. I find that hard to believe. I can see a couple hundred, but not 500+. I can only hope you have the capability to change your own oil. Good luck.

kendall69

MAN! - did you even get "kissed" after that one?

I buy all my stuff off the net and but my oil at the parts store and take the whole works into the dealer and say CHANGE it, but use my stuff. I have been charged as little as Free ( I still don't know why some sort of point system???) and around $10-$20. for an oil change.

What they do is take the regular oil change price "special" of $29.00 and delete the oil and filters and the remainder is labor and that's what I pay.

lucas

Wish I lived near your dealer, I would be happy to supply my own parts.
Don't think I have a lot of faith that they would charge me the labor only.
Are you getting MB filters? I don't want a problem with warranty, my dealer is not exactly...On my side.:bash:

boardster

MAN! - did you even get "kissed" after that one?

I buy all my stuff off the net and but my oil at the parts store and take the whole works into the dealer and say CHANGE it, but use my stuff. I have been charged as little as Free ( I still don't know why some sort of point system???) and around $10-$20. for an oil change.

What they do is take the regular oil change price "special" of $29.00 and delete the oil and filters and the remainder is labor and that's what I pay.

That does'nt take care of the fuel filter.
There's alot of $ variation on the service between places, but also between years (pre-'07/post-'07)
Check out the buzz on the "We're here to rip you off" thread.

contractor

I wouldn't feel so bad ... you overpaid by maybe $50 (compared to pricing I received 2 years ago). Now you are motivated to DIY and have a great forum to walk you thru it. The first time is a pain, after that it is easy money:bounce:

mobileoilchange

i dont see how these places charge so much for oil changes.
i charge $155.00 + tax for T1N sprinters.
and $175.00 + tax for the NCV3 sprinters.

that price includes...
labor
removal of the injector cover and inspect the injectors
amsoil synthetic oil
oil filter (wix / napa gold)
rotate the tires
tire pressure
inspect and measure tread dept
lubricate the door hinges
lubricate the slider door
lubricate door latches including hood latch
inspect all hoses
belts
lights (inside and out) head-turn-brake-back up-running-interior-dash etc...
horn
air cleaner (remove and inspect) not just looking at the indicator
check power steering fluid
test coolant ph
test brake fluid
check tranny fluid
check differential lube
test battery
test alternator
test starter
check ball joints and front wheel bearings
inspect brakes
check exhaust for damage
inspect wipers
fill washer fluid

for the price stated above.

for fuel filter changes on either T1n or Ncv3 i charge $90.00 that includes filter and labor.

guess im giving away my services.
on labor i charge $80.00 per hour.
and the main part of my service is that im mobile and i go to the customer. in which i do not charge travel time or distance fees.
98% of my business is commercial / fleet vehicles and all of it is repeat customers. alot of them ive had for nearly 10 years. but im always getting new accounts.

i just dont agree with the prices some of you are paying for service.

PS. since im at the customers location or job site i have nothing to hide and i enjoy the customers company while i service their vehicle.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Dealerships are bureaucracy. They get service tools and vehicle maint parts from a bigger bureaucracy... dealerships don't shop around for better parts deals .... they get parts "sanctioned" vendors, via the same business practices (contracts, markups etc) that make for $400.00 toilet seats and $600.00 hammers....

Dealerships pay professionals to do things MobileOilChange doesn't have to do, or does himself..... they pay another bureaucracy to keep the books, another bureaucracy to provide insurance for a dozen different kinds of things from vehicle inventory to personal injury, they pay property taxes, brick-n-mortar municipal taxes and business taxes.

You shouldn't patronize dealerships unless you're warranty-paranoid or want to subsidize terrible business practices.

Dealerships are an inefficient business model.

MobileOilChange has an efficient business.

There's no comparison beyond the fact that both provide hands-on service. The similarities stop right there.

-Jon

JGCabs

ADKCabinetmaker
So Lucas - was there GST &/or PST on top of that?

Mobiloilchange, contractor may have a point. Now's the time of year to find out how well you did last year, and if you are leaving money on the table.

Jon you raise a great point about dealerships. Complacency! I've been self employed for over 20 years, and I found out early: Make a customer happy and they will tell 2 or 3 friends. Make a customer unhappy, and they will tell everyone who will listen.

Then again, with the current shake up in our economy, and the number of dealers closing, trimming a bit of dealer fat may motivate some positive change.

lucas

That's right 5%GST, 7%PST just one more kick in the pants.
One can only hope that the world economic situation will smarten up the auto industry,but I doubt it.

speedyb

Just had my first oil and filter replaced...Wow still in shock at the cost, think the next one will be a DIY.
I live in Canada so maybe we get leaned on extra hard but...This is how it breaks down.

5175571-AA oil filter 46.50
68001334-AA oil 164.40
5175429-AB fuel filter 169.85
shop supplies 17.05
disposal fee 2.50
labor 143.15
total 543.45 plus tax

Is this what all the dealers are charging? Is it a big rip off or is this the going rate?
The work was done at Carter Chrysler in Burnaby BC

I do believe you have paid about $150.00 more than you should have. the oil fitler is about right I paid close to the same from the stealer the first time I had it done. The oil was $11.95 a liter x 12 liters( i counted as he put in it and when paying was told 13 but i told him i saw only 12 and show me the 13 empty containers which he could not and agreed to charge 12!!!!!)and the fuel filter was $130.00. shop supplies? what did they use gold lined gloves and rags!!!!What was the shop rate? labour was $95.00. Needless to say I did not return to the stealer. I buy all my supplies and go to an oil changer pay him $12.00 for labour and he does the change. Cost me about $150.00 for supplies with exchange I buy them in the states. I did my own for a few times but by the time you mess around and then have to drive and drop off the used oil at a recycler the $12.00 at the oil changer is a steal.I would not go to a stealer unless you have no choice or its warranty work.

new-york2004

i got my Mobil 1 (10 quarts) at walmart (cost around $ 70) filter at dodge stealer ($12-$14) and had changed at walmart for around $10-$20,because i don't have EXTRA MONEY to pay at STEALERSHIP :D:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
i got my Mobil 1 (10 quarts) at walmart (cost around $ 70) filter at dodge stealer ($12-$14) and had changed at walmart for around $10-$20,because i don't have EXTRA MONEY to pay at STEALERSHIP :D:
One of the many reasons people prefer T1N over NCV3.... MB229.51 is a spec you can ignore.

mackconsult

Geese ..... Just because its a mercedes doesn't mean you can't go to jiffy lube.

I buy my filters on line a head of time ($6.50/each I think).

Jiffy Lube changes my oil for $25. The rest of the maintenance I do myself.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The wrong oil can cause EGR system and premature DPF retirement. Jiffy Lube's fine for older diesel technology (like your 2005 T1N) and any gas burner, but the NCV3 Sprinter really does need the proper oil to reach it's projected service life and a quick check of three Jiffy Lube's in Seattle indicated they don't stock the correct oil to use in a DPF-equipped system (yet).

-Jon

Last edited:

Top Bottom