Which tuner?

Getting ready to tune/delete my 2007 CRD. She has 291k miles and is ready. I really don't know which company is best or worst. Green diesel? Malone? Any others? What did you do with your tune? Straight pipe? Hollow out? Remove egr? Thanks for any and all responses..

Frank Mc

Hey El Cheapo, on a new thread I'm thinking of the GDE tune for lots of good positive reasons , cost of replacing DPF, EGR ect. plus I think I can stay with the 229.5 oil the 229.51 oil is hard to find and more costly. Did you think in those terms also ?? Thanks, Frank Mc.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
GDE works perfect for me, only 101 k on my 2008 Navion

GDE does not delete the DPF, so you still have pretty clean exhaust except for a bit more Nox

It has been said that due to lower soot production, DPF will last longer..

Just curious at 291k miles, are you still on the original DPF still functional??

What other major repairs have you had to do over and above regular maintenance??

Frank Mc

Rob, recently I saw somewhere U-tube or some such that a guy that was deleting his DPF installed a resistor in the DPF pressure differential circuit to make the ECM think that everything was just fine after removing DPF. I used to do the same thing when I was doing Hyroxy injection on my 90 Metro and the ECM "thought " the cat was getting just the right amount of Ox. Regards, Frank

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Rob, recently I saw somewhere U-tube or some such that a guy that was deleting his DPF installed a resistor in the DPF pressure differential circuit to make the ECM think that everything was just fine after removing DPF. I used to do the same thing when I was doing Hyroxy injection on my 90 Metro and the ECM "thought " the cat was getting just the right amount of Ox. Regards, Frank
Bunch of links here

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dpf+delete+resistor

I thought GDE was able to delete the DPF. Van is a 2007, has 291k on it. I just purchased it and drove it home 60 miles. CEL was lit when I went to look at it but didn't care much as it's a long tall 170 for 3 grand. I did get it up to 80mph a few times but seemed to not have much power to hold it there for long all on flat land. Only code I got was for an EGT sensor. I'm assuming the EGR needs to be cleaned which I will do, but from what I've read the DPF , is most likely old and clogged. I was considering GDE, but spoke with the owner of a franchise for Malone tuning and he's only an hour from my house. They do it all and it's about $350 less than GDE so I may have to give them a go...

Hey El Cheapo, on a new thread I'm thinking of the GDE tune for lots of good positive reasons , cost of replacing DPF, EGR ect. plus I think I can stay with the 229.5 oil the 229.51 oil is hard to find and more costly. Did you think in those terms also ?? Thanks, Frank Mc.
As far as oil, I've used shell rotella synthetic in my T1N forever. It has 580k miles and does not burn a drop. I'm not sure if that oil is spec. I see all of these numbers everywhere like 229.5 and lose all track because there's too many between rear diff, trans, motor and god knows what else lol.

flman

I thought GDE was able to delete the DPF. Van is a 2007, has 291k on it. I just purchased it and drove it home 60 miles. CEL was lit when I went to look at it but didn't care much as it's a long tall 170 for 3 grand. I did get it up to 80mph a few times but seemed to not have much power to hold it there for long all on flat land. Only code I got was for an EGT sensor. I'm assuming the EGR needs to be cleaned which I will do, but from what I've read the DPF , is most likely old and clogged. I was considering GDE, but spoke with the owner of a franchise for Malone tuning and he's only an hour from my house. They do it all and it's about $350 less than GDE so I may have to give them a go...
Keith can delete anything, does custom tuning, and you will not have any type of CEL or anomalies, but $350 off sounds like a good deal, just no way of comparing the value between the 2 tunes?

Maybe GDE will chime in?

lindenengineering

To tune or not to tune, Oh what a question!!:lol:
I am reminded of this yesterday!

Customer comes in not with a Sprinter but a Dodge PU with Cummins 325 HP and 6 speeder!
CEL on now and again!

Its been tuned, and its been deleted says the owner!
OOOW!!! OHKAY!:thinking: Piqued my curiosity of course!

Certainly looking under the hood lots of luverly add ons and looking at the inside of its electronic head (PCM) with Cummins scanner it told me "Oh I see its been well and truly dicked with"!
Who's handy work is this methinks?:thinking:
I bet this engine is pumping 425 Horse more like!

Anyway I quickly traced the problem a leak on the HP FIE system!
OK let go for a test run , up the mountain!

At the steepest part on I/70 getting towards the Genessee Buffalo Lookout viewing area, it came apart!.
Around 70 MPH in the outside lane at around 2000 r/m I got to make the biggest insect fogging session going in the whole wide world (whirled) The whole Kahuna talk about 50 shades of grey!
Rolling coal young whipper snappers have nothing on me! This naughty old guy me, with 50 shades of grey thatch! :thumbup::laughing:
As I limped it off to the next exit, cars those lane choking ski traffic lot were gingerly emerging through the fug with curling smoke pirouettes, quite spectacular they were, as too the unrestrained fwendly hand gesticulations of occupants!!!
Denverites off the the slops all Rocky Mountain unrestrained high! (Note the duble entendre here!):laughing:

So it was call Dicks Towing for a dicked truck!
What was the problem apart from the TUNE!!! You may ask!
Increased FIE pressure blew the tops off the injectors and raw flue at some indecent high pressure was being blown into the cylinders.
Into the oil as well!:thumbdown:
I concluded this Dodge PU will produce the smell of heaps of green money--Oh the aroma when you spend it in Roma!--- With my beloved !

Still late in the day there was the brighter side as a shall we say! Mature lady sprinter owner popped in for an ABS light on!
Being a cold day she was bundled up but normally she arrives during the summer months wearing baggy pairs of khaki shorts with NO UNDERWEAR. Once stretched out the sofa in the reception area frequently dozing off she is famous for flashing her "brillo pad" to all and sundry! It too I bet has 50 shades of grey as well, but I won't go there or close enough to find out!!! YUK!:lol:
So moral of this story from the workshop its called unintended consequences!
Most of them are usually associated with unintended expenditure!
Dennis
Mechanic
Who says fixn' stuff is boring!--Carry on dicking 'em up !

flman

How many GDE vehicles out of the 10,000 ever rolled into your shop with this problem? :whistle:

lindenengineering

Flman
Frankly I haven't been looking too hard until just recently when I was forward informed /alerted to the intention of the State of Colorado to start failing TUNED engines that come into the E test mandate once they have the test programs available
Dennis.

flman

So a good idea to have a tuner that can reflash back to stock should the E test actually detect the tune?

lindenengineering

So a good idea to have a tuner that can reflash back to stock should the E test actually detect the tune?
Yes but you will be blacked flagged by the test station & that goes into State records if it gets picked up.
Then on drive byes you will be monitored for NOx emissions!~
Technology, its gets you both ways you know!
Dennis

I was wrong on the $350 cheaper. GDE is $750 and Malone is $489. I've got way too many things going on. As far as the Cummins you can go to far and then your in the area of having a race only truck. I had a 2008 bi turbo f250 that I used to haul campers all over the country. Got 10mpg hauling and 14mpg empty. Needless to say I wasn't making much. I tuned deleted, added an aftermarket intake, went to 15mpg hauling and 20mpg empty, went from 325hp and 600lb ft torque to 650hp, and around 1100lb ft torque. Put 100,000 trouble free miles on it, 75% of nights I slept in it idling all with not one issue until I rolled her pulling a brand new fifth wheel camper in Wyoming. I kept it simple and didn't abuse it much, but hard not too abuse with that much power I must say lol

flman

Yes but you will be blacked flagged by the test station & that goes into State records if it gets picked up.
Then on drive byes you will be monitored for NOx emissions!~
Technology, its gets you both ways you know!
Dennis
If the dealer cant detect the tune, I would suspect the state would be using the same parameters as the dealer for the vehicle in question?

Global

Getting ready to tune/delete my 2007 CRD. She has 291k miles and is ready. I really don't know which company is best or worst. Green diesel? Malone? Any others? What did you do with your tune? Straight pipe? Hollow out? Remove egr? Thanks for any and all responses..
I got GDE tune for my 2008 CRD. Done only around 3000 miles since but I wish I would done it earlier ( I originally planned for tune when I pass magical 100K miles)
EGR, MPH limiter, swirl valves are turned off. DPF is doing its regen a lot less than before.
I am doing little bit better fuel milage (1-1.5 MPG better than before)
And there is defenietly more power.
For $100 more you can add DPF delay.

If i have to there is option that I can get back to stack tune any time.
win win situation for me

johnshmit

If the dealer cant detect the tune, I would suspect the state would be using the same parameters as the dealer for the vehicle in question?
Yes. State uses the standard OBDII protocol.There is no way to detect a proper tune. It isn't impossible, just not meant to do so.

lindenengineering

I don't know what they are doing or planning exactly !
I only know they are developing a test procedure to detect so called tunes and defeats.

Also I hear from the same meetings on info that filters out; that also refer specifically to holes and and modifications!
Seemingly modifications done to the exhaust treatment system like removable filters, weld ups will not be exceptable on light duty trucks/vehicles, especially those that have a FED/Calif chassis emissions certification. Its likely then that only Fed Dyno certified vehicles like class 8 trucks which already have removable DPF filters will be accepted !

Now as to OBD2 operating modifications as a blanket statement that it cannot be detected is simply NOT true~!
I can in fact cite Dodge Cummins products which have proven a few times over from my experiences that Cummins CAN detect the past existence of so called tune mods in their PCM's. Much to the disappointment of smart assed owners who have had engine trouble under the warranty!

In this fast changing auto world, things change fast don't assume anything!
Dennis

johnshmit

I don't know what they are doing or planning exactly !
I only know they are developing a test procedure to detect so called tunes and defeats.

Also I hear from the same meetings on info that filters out; that also refer specifically to holes and and modifications!
Seemingly modifications done to the exhaust treatment system like removable filters, weld ups will not be exceptable on light duty trucks/vehicles, especially those that have a FED/Calif chassis emissions certification. Its likely then that only Fed Dyno certified vehicles like class 8 trucks which already have removable DPF filters will be accepted !

Now as to OBD2 operating modifications as a blanket statement that it cannot be detected is simply NOT true~!
I can in fact cite Dodge Cummins products which have proven a few times over from my experiences that Cummins CAN detect the past existence of so called tune mods in their PCM's. Much to the disappointment of smart assed owners who have had engine trouble under the warranty!

In this fast changing auto world, things change fast don't assume anything!
Dennis

Any manufacturer protocol can, but not a generic OBDII used by the state interface and required by the law.
As for the requirements, just borrow the book from one of your state inspector certified technicians.
Everything is in it and that is the law as well.

Top Bottom