Oil Change intervals

Niceguy12

Hi Folks
Just checking on recommended oil change intervals for the 2006 sprinter
What is the recommended oil change intervals for crankcase oil and transmission oil regular or synthetic ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Hi Folks
Just checking on recommended oil change intervals for the 2006 sprinter
What is the recommended oil change intervals for crankcase oil and transmission oil regular or synthetic ?

Thanks
The distance interval is 10,000 miles. I have never seen any distinction or miles reduction from 10k mentioned for any related to a specific MB approved oil. MB228.3, MB228.5, MB229.3, MB229.5 are most likely what you'll find on the shelves in N. America. The ASSYST computer monitor can allow higher OCI.

The general consensus for NAG1 transmission fluid change is to drain the pan and TC at 40 - 60,000 miles. Generally 8 quarts of fluid on hand will do for TC pan drain maintenance.

vic

Last edited:

cahaak

My OCIs usually end up being about 13K miles because I change it twice a year, spring and fall and that is the miles I put on. I have 300K on my '06. I run regular 15W40 in the summer and the mobile1 0W40(Walmart) or Shell T6 5W40 in the winter. I typically top off the oil about 3/4 of the way through the OCI. I follow the timing vic recommends above for the Transmission service and use the ATF 134. When I bought the van with 113K on it, the tranny had never been serviced, but it runs nice now that it gets some regular service.

Chris

Niceguy12

Thanks gentlemen
I have been told that on the transmission that the oil should not be changed before 300k
after the initial break in period
Is this true?

Thanks

Thanks gentlemen
I have been told that on the transmission that the oil should not be changed before 300k
after the initial break in period
Is this true?

Thanks
Experience of many owners shows that is absolutely not true for the Sprinter NAG1 transmission.

At one time MB recommended a "once only" change, but even that one change was nowhere near 300,000 miles. They backed away from that schedule. I think that the MB interval now is in the 40 - 60,000 miles I mentioned previously.

My opinion is that for most Sprinters 60,000 miles is fine. Heavily loaded vans seeing sporadic service (RV's) may do better with the 40,000 interval.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I vaguely recall that they recommended an engine oil interval of 7500 miles for "heavily loaded" (i.e. full GVW RVs) Sprinters.
The transmission spec was one-change-only at 80,000 miles, but the rear end was to be changed every "6th maintenance service" (which would be 120,000 miles)
The coolant was to be changed at 180,000 miles.

For your amusement:
That era's maintenance manual: View attachment Maint_manual_sprinter.pdf

--dick

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
My ASSYST system tells me to change it pretty close to 15,000 miles every time. I have had some of my old oil analysed over the years, 4 times to be exact, and even at 15,000 miles the oil is still good, but the cost per mile at 15,000 miles is pretty low so I've been sticking with what the ASSYST system says. If you change it at 10,000 miles you will certainly not be running th eoil too long unless you run the van really really hard.

cahaak

The transmission fluid - including the torque converter should certainly be changed regularly. It is relatively easy and not costly for a DIY. I will tell you that the first time I change mine at 113K after I bought the van (apparently had never been changed) the circular oil pan magnet looked like a mini donut due to all of the collected wear particles. In subsequent changes at 60-75K intervals, there is some particle collection, but it is much cleaner.

Chris

Niceguy12

So would you buy a sprinter 2006 158 inch wb with approx 190k that had the transmission oil changed (possibly by previous owner at 80k) and the diff changed once for sure at 150k?
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cahaak

Those are not unreasonable change intervals, but I would clearly change the fluids again after purchase. There could be other things to check on the van, but at least they were changed once. Engine oil changes and other fluid change info would be nice to have. If it drives fine currently, I would not see it as a big issue.

Chris

Top Bottom