PDA

View Full Version : EGR Delete versus GDE

BenJohnson
01-15-2017, 12:28 AM
So I dont want the black crap in my intake anymore. Looks like I have a couple of choices:

1. Disconnect the EGR and put on a fake out box a la Colorado Al - cost $20 max.
2. Get a GDE ECO tune which eliminates the EGR - cost $695

I really dont have $695 to spend on this thing. I dont really care about the added power or the quicker response. I do like the idea of increased fuel economy though. The payback is probably about 3 years for the amount I drive.

So the EGR fake out box should increase fuel efficiency, because exhaust gas is not being pumped into the intake - would it be as good as GDE for fuel economy? Maybe there might be a bit of power increase too. From the Colorado Al thread there are a few posts cautioning that the fake out box might cause engine problems because of excess heat (or not)?!? Not sure if this info is armchair internet crapola or has some basis in reality.

Whadda y'all think? Care to lend me $695? I'll pay ya back $0.10 a month for the next 10,000 months.

BenJohnson
01-15-2017, 12:29 AM
oh, and that is 10 cents in CANADIAN.

Midwestdrifter
01-15-2017, 01:10 AM
I have never seen or heard of a a T1N sprinter that had a problem caused directly by EGR soot buildup in the manifold. There were some issues with corrosion on the OM612 intake, but I don't think that is EGR related?

FYI, fuel economy increases from removing the EGR are quite small. Most of the gains from the GDE tune are likely from timing, and injection changes.

I can understand wanting to get rid of the old style OM612 EGR valve. Do you have any guarantee that the ECM won't throw a wobbly with it emulated? I thought the ECM monitored the MAF to check EGR flow? Maybe that is only on the OM647 with O2 sensor?

Anyways, if your vehicle is running good, I would suggest to leave it well enough alone. :idunno:

BenJohnson
01-15-2017, 01:42 AM
Naw, I am going to do it. Bye bye EGR. All that crap in the intake is not good in my book.

Even if the ECM throws a code, its easy to swap the EGR back.

Anyone have any direct experience good or bad with the EGR fake out? Better fuel economy?

I suppose I could just do the fake out and see how it goes. I have lots of fuel data from the day I bought this puppy a few years ago.

slowgsr
01-15-2017, 03:45 AM
I looked into this on the om647 only, it can't be done without ecm reprogramming (from gde). Those who tried to emulate it eventually failed resulting in lmh.

If you do damage a working egr trying to remove it, then fail at blocking it. Well, your cost goes up, and headaches.

misterbond10
01-15-2017, 04:19 AM
yep cant be done on your 2006. Black gook doesn't hurt anything, i didn't like it either though. GDE tune gets better mileage due to some complex tuning parameters not just egr

Aqua Puttana
01-15-2017, 01:12 PM
I have never seen or heard of a a T1N sprinter that had a problem caused directly by EGR soot buildup in the manifold. There were some issues with corrosion on the OM612 intake, but I don't think that is EGR related?

FYI, fuel economy increases from removing the EGR are quite small. Most of the gains from the GDE tune are likely from timing, and injection changes.

I can understand wanting to get rid of the old style OM612 EGR valve. Do you have any guarantee that the ECM won't throw a wobbly with it emulated? I thought the ECM monitored the MAF to check EGR flow? Maybe that is only on the OM647 with O2 sensor?

Anyways, if your vehicle is running good, I would suggest to leave it well enough alone. :idunno:
Hear! hear! :clapping:

:cheers: vic

BenJohnson
01-15-2017, 02:12 PM
slowgsr and misterbond10 - thanks for the info, much appreciated. Looks like I will get the GDE. Now, just to find a rich mama to help me pay for it.

Gaspiping Sprinter
01-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Ben Johnson , I know you are in the west cost but I just wanted to tell you that if you search " diesel engine chip Tunning " you might find a local shop that can flash your ecm and delete your egr.
I got the " speed limiter" removed by a shop in Oakville ON that included delete and flash and it might be worth a while just to ask them if they know any shops near you ?
www.jrautoelectronics.ca

lemonsoda
01-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Makes me feeling good to hear som chip tuners can disable speed limiter and egr! i l ask mine...