PDA

View Full Version : T1N sprinters "run cold"? Maybe not - it might be your thermostat

BenJohnson
01-12-2017, 03:27 AM
I posted on another thread about my 2006 2500 running cold in around town driving when it was 32degF outside. A lot of replies indicated this is "normal" and a lot of threads posted the same as well.

However, after running some other tests I decided it was not normal and decided to replace the thermostat.

The old one was completely shot. The valve rubber was completely gone.

Now it takes 15mins to get the van up to a stable 175 deg F. This is *in town* driving at 30mph - no highway. No heater booster. Plus I had the interior heater on as well.

Perhaps, as one unorthodox thread said, that the thermostats are crap and should be replaced every couple of years. Maybe that is why so many people think their "sprinter runs cold" is a normal condition.

AdrianD
01-12-2017, 11:23 AM
General consensus on UK MB forums is that the thermostat on this generation of engines is indeed prone to a quicker degradation, so a replacement every couple of years is a good idea.

In Finland people have added a small Renault thermostat in the oem thermostat output side and they claim much quicker warm-up.

lindenengineering
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
THERMOSTATS

The device in most internal combustion engines cars to maintain top pipe temperature and reduce peaks of thermal stress and maintain combustion efficiency.
So how long would you expect one of these things to last given the environment it lives in?
Its constant pulsation allowing slugs of hot coolant to pass to or from the radiator (depending upon design or operational method) is its Achilles heal.

So how long?
A year or say 15,000 miles?
2 years or say 30,000. Maybe five years and then the rig has done 75,000.
OR
Like most its out of sight and out of mind and when you ask a customer when was the last time the cooling system was serviced you get I dunno:idunno:
Looks original to me and the van is 10 years old!:laughing:
But you want this thing to cool properly right ?
For a device that costs about $75, its a cheap maintenance item that needs some attention from time to time but done on a regular basis.
So how often do you DIY'rs change out the thermostat and flush the cooling system?:laughing:
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
I posted on another thread about my 2006 2500 running cold in around town driving when it was 32degF outside. A lot of replies indicated this is "normal" and a lot of threads posted the same as well.

However, after running some other tests I decided it was not normal and decided to replace the thermostat.

To me your post here makes it sound like the advice given by the forum in your original thread was lacking and we are a bunch of hacks. That's not at all what I interpreted from reading through the thread again.

You were given information which I believe should have helped you diagnose your problems.

Added: Actually I don't disagree with the "Runs Cold" comments in that unlike a typical petrol engine, a Sprinter diesel will not attain the typical 180F operating temperature by just idling. That is not related to thermostat condition, it is the nature of the beast. I do agree that the
Sprinter should attain close to 180F even around town, but my experience is that it may take longer than 15 minutes when ambient temperatures are lower ... eg. below 10F. Ambient temperature will affect operation.

Your original thread.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52974

My opinion. Rather than anyone just blindly replacing parts, learning what is "normal" for your Sprinter and then watching your dash engine temperature gauge is a good way to keep on top of your cooling system operating condition.

I strongly recommend that this thread be visited by those questioning whether they have a cooling system problem.

T1N Engine Temperature Normal High Low
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47965

vic