Sprinter Window flares or not

rocktor

I am in the process of converting my 2011 Sprinter 144 WB. My question is for those of you who have a window flare or with knowledge about it. It will give me room to put my platform bed sideways and create more room. But what do I not know? Are there any issues people with flares have encountered?
Thanks for your input.
PJ

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I made a custom fiberglass flare for my T1N. Honestly it has been totally pain free since installation, no usage problems, and no interference with the daily use of my van. It really saves a lot of space when you can sleep sideways in the van.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
On my sold 08 NCV3 Sprinter I filled the rear window indents with insulation. Did not think it would be a problem sleeping slightly diagonal. I am 5'-10" and about 73 1/2" long when sleeping on my stomach. Found sleeping diagonally was not comfortable.

Obviously your height and how you sleep determine the width required.

On Transit build I only put 1 1/2" of rigid insulation on the indent panels and covered that with indoor/outdoor carpet. So increased width by not filling the indents. That gave me the width required so I did not have to sleep diagonal.

Also found if you do not make the mattress the full width you can leave a trough at each end that your feet have a place to go into which then reduced the width required to your height. I wanted to keep the ability to put my head either on the right or left side of the van in case van is not level so have the trough on both ends.

Top Bottom