Alternator alternative

Seber

My experience with Bosch alternators has been pretty dismal. Is there any reason I shouldn't replace it with a Delco?

Eric Experience

Seber

In the trade the Bosch is considered the better unit. Perhaps you should look at the way you are using them. Eric.

My experience with Bosch alternators has been pretty dismal. Is there any reason I shouldn't replace it with a Delco?
Unlike the other brand starter motors, there's no reason I know of that a Delco could hurt anything. Some aftermarket starter motors are said to be off a bit as to fit and properly engaging the flywheel ring teeth.

I agree with Eric that Bosch alternators are generally reliable. Have you carefully checked your wiring and PDC fuse connections off the battery post? Other system problems can contribute to short service life.

vic

Seber

I suppose I should have said that my experiences have been with BMW and Porsche. In both brands Bosch alternators seemed to be good for about 40.000 miles. Delcos seem to last forever. The only one I ever had fail was at 185,000 miles. Rebuild was $15 for bearings and diodes.

cahaak

There are a couple of threads on here regarding Bosch alternators (new) ordered off of Amazon for a very attractive price (90 and 150 amp versions). In those threads, I don't believe that there have been negative reviews of the units. My OEM Bosch unit has 300K on it and it keeps on ticking.

Chris

misterbond10

bosch is good, maybe you're doing something wrong? the 150a ones on amazon are awesome. have your battery load tested at a local parts store. wire brush and dielectric grease all your cables/connectors & dont forget the junction box near/on the battery +

Top Bottom