PDA

View Full Version : Grey smoke on aceleration

Nelson_311
01-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem with my 2005 mwb 311 CDi 2.1 sprinter.

At night time if I look behind me in my mirror while accelerating, I can see smoke in the headlights of the vehicle behind me. In the day time it can barely be seen unless I really put my foot down and look very hard.

The obvious cause would be the turbo oil seal is going... before spending money on a rebuilt turbo, is there any tests I can do to tell me for sure this is the case? Is there a test I can do that will tell me its the turbo and not the valve steam seals?

I haven't been able to tell if the smoke continues at higher speed, only when accelerating away in 1st/2nd and some of 3rd, I don't know if it continues to do it after this, as I tend to be accelerating away from the vehicle behind. If I look back though I can see a huge cloud behind me as the car behind drives through it.

Also is there any other causes that it could be I can check for?

Thanks for your help all, I want to get this sorted before it gets worse, also worried it could be damaging other things If I leave it, the vans only done 103,000 miles.

Lets say it does turn out to be the turbo seal... is there something else I need to do so this doesn't happen again, or do these seals just wear out on their own? Has something else caused the oil seal to fail?

The van recently had a very expensive oil change, it got very good quality oil put in it.

NelsonSprinter
01-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Your location?
And the grey smoke couldn't be condensation cloud from the exhaust in the cold?
Best thing is to drive behind your vehicle for stops and starts in daytime.

Oil usually causes blue smoke, gray and white are bad injector and coolant leak visible summer/winter