Adding Windows to Rear and RH Sliding Doors

Barrelsaver

Has anyone had the dark tint (fixed) factory windows retrofitted to a 144" '08 cargo van that came without windows in the cargo area? Can you just order these windows from Berry Dodge and have them installed locally? Please advise! Thank you!
TK

boardster

I had the rear door windows and the middle side windows installed by a Dodge dealer on my 170" '08.
The rears were clear with tinted film added, the sides were deep tint.
I checked with over a dozen Dodge Sprinter dealers, and this was the only one willing to do it.
There is a Dodge Sprinter dealer in Indiana that also has experience and is willing to do it.
Surprisingly, none of the other dealers would do it even as a condition for purchase!
I spoke with the service departments and body shops, and they said they would replace a damaged window, but not cut out and install one.
I asked what they would do if a vehicle were in an accident and needed rear doors with windows replaced, and they said they would order the doors with windows from Germany!
I had my sliding door window installed by an upfitter, since I wanted an awning screen window there as well as the left side.

Mrdi

Asked precisely the same question of the dealer in CA.
They would have the local upfitter do the windows and it would not be warrantied by Dodge.

Barrelsaver

What else do I need besides the glass?

Are these windows just glued on the surface held on by the adhesive? Do I need any special moldings or seals? Do they have templates to make the cutouts with? Does anyone know more? Please advise! Thank you! TK:thinking:

boardster

The factory windows are bonded only.
The aftermarket windows that look like factory have a frame.
From the outside they look the same, but inside the factory bonded ones have a larger
glass area and are cleaner in design
The cut-out size is different.

I'm not sure what makes the bonding so difficult, but all except one dealer that I spoke with refused to do it, and even the up-fitter does the frame ones only, sending the bonded ones 100 miles away to a dealer that does them.

Be careful with the adhesive on the rears!
They got to close to the edge with the stuff on mine, and never installed the correct black plastic surround, which is different when you have the glass.
I purchased it myself, but had to work hours cutting away the excess adhesive that interfered with the mounting clips on the surround.

jfreeth

The following link is to a Mopar Vendor that lists the rear door windows, with and without heat and 'privacy', presumably tinting, price range 90$ to 160$ dependant on options
http://www.chryslerpartscenter.com/...nter&year=2008&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

CRLaurence supplies rear door windows for NCV3, the glass is tinted, not an applied film. I received a pair recently and they do not have a frame, being installed the same as oem, that is glued in. Local glass installers quote approx 125$ per window if the opening is cut back to the pinch line on the internal panel, not hard and described elsewhere. Price for the glass is approx 180 retail and a lot less wholesale, presumably to cover installation costs(breakage)

Logo plastic mounts are available for 'Dodge' logo from above supplier at approx. 18$ each side.

I am still searching for an 'economic' supplier for the MB logo and mount, thought it would be amusing, but the added cost of the front grill as well, was way over the top. Also looking for the part number for the interior trim, as Dodge dealers so far don't know which part to order, and MB dealers are 'unresponsive'.

jfreeth

The following link is to a Mopar Vendor that lists the rear door windows, with and without heat and 'privacy', presumably tinting, price range 90$ to 160$ dependant on options
http://www.chryslerpartscenter.com/...nter&year=2008&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

CRLaurence supplies rear door windows for NCV3, the glass is tinted, not an applied film. I received a pair recently and they do not have a frame, being installed the same as oem, that is glued in. Local glass installers quote approx 125$ per window if the opening is cut back to the pinch line on the internal panel, not hard and described elsewhere. Price for the glass is approx 180 retail and a lot less wholesale, presumably to cover installation costs(breakage)

Logo plastic mounts are available for 'Dodge' logo from above supplier at approx. 18$ each side.

I am still searching for an 'economic' supplier for the MB logo and mount, thought it would be amusing, but the added cost of the front grill as well, was way over the top. Also looking for the part number for the interior trim, as Dodge dealers so far don't know which part to order, and MB dealers are 'unresponsive'.

Top Bottom