need ur opinion, scamed on a 2007 dodge

100k miles, ring and pinion striped out. Bought for 26k cause looked perfect to use as a motohauler. I was lied too by owner , he said it was babied basically, all freeway miles etc....
REALITY, it was used to haul stuff and was overloaded at times....

now what do I do...its getting repaired now...DO I SELL IT , or cross my fingers and continue to use it as my motohauler....

caution !!! you can not trust people when you buy there stuff, unfortunaty

ALL ADVISE IS APRECIATED ?????????

P.S. I LOVE MY MONEY PIT

lindenengineering

Hey
This is an example of an ancient Roman expression when a Centurion looked at one of his men who had just been axed over the head by a Briton all painted in blue attack paint .
Caveat Emptor
You see the now dead soldier with an axe buried in his head had bought this fine Roman now broken spear or lance from a mate who was sent back to Rome. He sold it to our now deceased soldier with assurances that this was the best lance that money could buy.
What he didn't know was that this lance was well used and abused in Gaul,. but fettled to look like new in the back streets of Eboracum by some back street Brit who was good at polishing a turd for the bespoke nobility of middle England.

What he should have done was have the weapon carefully inspected by the armourer for defects--but he didn't so poor Yorik paid the price; while Antonius Julious "the deceiver" (ex soldier) lived it up on the sale proceeds of the lance in the brothels of Rome enjoying the effects of Dyonisis!

Mr Caveat Emptor lives today as he did 2000 years ago!
Today he is known as Mr Buyer Beware in reincarnated English.
Dennis

Last edited:

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
diff is stripped?

as in, "when I step on the gas in gear, all it does is rattle and grind in the rear as the pinion fails to find purchase on the ring"?

because....honestly....I'm not even sure how anyone could do that in 100k miles....if ever.

and...if they could, I'd imagine it'd be damned noticeable on the test drive before you bought it.

I think there is far more to the story here, or a slight misdiagnosis of the problem

(I have a 434k mile 2006 with a totally destroyed pinion bearing, the pinion literally moves 3/4" in the housing under load. van drives fine, just makes an awful racket on deceleration....been doing it for 50k or more)

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Probably not the ring and pinion set on the NCV3, I would wager to bet it is one or both of the 2 piece rear axle shafts (like the old AMC 20 rear end) that is if the Van is a 2500 of course.

Carl

5400.00 repair !!! wtf
everything is getting replaced
what a **** design !!
both axles spriped out the hubs
carrier was worn and they suggested replacement...carrier is one piece and it was 2200.00///other parts were 2500+...6 hours labor

TELL ME THEY CHANGED THE AXLE DESIGN AFTER 2007 PLEASE ....I have read about others having this problem as well

the way it is designed the axles can wobble if the spider is worn and cause faiure in the splines !!!!!!!!!!!!! piece of crap imho

lindenengineering

the way it is designed the axles can wobble if the spider is worn and cause faiure in the splines !!!!!!!!!!!!! piece of crap imho
Interesting observation and post.
The design is much like almost all conventional rear axle differential design set ups as you might even find even in an 18,000 lb Dana Spicer rear end in say a Peterbilt Class 8 truck which is bigger (of course) but embodies the same design.

The only real difference (albeit smaller) is a pressed and shrunk on ring gear which precludes removal of the differential spider pin. That in turn does not allow tear out of the gears you mentioned.

The gears do run in the case but are hardened and meant to live for the life of the vehicle I often see them in fair condition at 400,000 miles running with no problems whatsoever ..

The issues arise due to lubrication/service neglect.

The spider pin coming loose in the diff carrier casing in some instances wallowing and walking out to foul the input pinion flank.

Damage to the rear cover leading to oil loss and overheating /collapse due to lack of lubrication.

Other than that a very good differential and in cost is in lie with many similar sized units from other makes.
Dennis
Mechanic

Top Bottom