No Start

principal

Well I drove my new 2007 Sprinter home last night, parked, and locked it.
Got up this morning, turned the aux heater on for 20 min. and tried to start... nothing! I've got full power to my dash, even the headlights are full brightness
when switched on. Not even a click when trying to start. Anybody had this before? ( truck has 120 miles on it)

shanemac

A few times on my 07 but in real cold weather, if you boosted it did it start? Hear is a pic to do so.

for boosting or charging

principal

A few times on my 07 but in real cold weather, if you boosted it did it start? Hear is a pic to do so.

for boosting or charging
Thanks Shane,
There is actually a click when I turn the key to the start position, then nothing.
There is also a short, muted buzzing from inside the dash when I first insert the key (thats probably normal eh?)
I clamped the ground cable to the thick copper wire under the washer fluid can... that works too yes?
Thanks for your time - RO

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
First thing you should do is buy better quality jumper cables. Those things you have now would be luck to transfer 50 amps.

These are what I keep in Our company trhttp://auto.sears.com/DEKA-BATTERY-BOOSTER-CABLES/Product.htm?catalogId=10623&N=600024950&productId=2006094ucks.

Last edited:

principal

Well, I went to start the Sprinter tonight and what the heck, it started up just like that!... strange, very strange.

principal

Well I drove my new 2007 Sprinter home last night, parked, and locked it.
Got up this morning, turned the aux heater on for 20 min. and tried to start... nothing! I've got full power to my dash, even the headlights are full brightness
when switched on. Not even a click when trying to start. Anybody had this before? ( truck has 120 miles on it)
Here we (don't) go again. Drove out this morning to the supplier, stopped at a few other places, then parked the truck at my house. Sat around for 5 hours then went to start and...nothing, well not nothing but the same symptons as I described above (2/1/2 months ago). One other thing to note: my radio came on (yes, "came on") after I removed the key from the ignition.
Sounds like a computer thing to me... The dealer can have the truck for 2 weeks and by cracky he better tell me they found the problem and fixed it, by the time I get back from vacation. (so often you hear them say "we could'nt duplicate the problem so we could not fix it) grrrr.
Cheers - RO

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Maybe the tech should use it has a daily driver while you're on holiday?

Ok, maybe not....

-Jon

Frankia

I'm also curious to know what was the cause? I'm having this kind of problems too every now and then. But in my case it always starts on second try, but I'm afraid it might get worse. I've had my car on MB-service, but no fault-codes found :idunno: and all they did was they switched starter relay and wiper relay positions. (same relay, they said). But that didn't help in my case.

principal

did you resolve this problem with your sprinter? sounds much like my problem?
I took it to a different Dealer (closer to home) from where I bought it. It turns out that the battery had one bad cell and wasn't always charging properly. Actually they told me it was the wrong battery all together... I enquired about this at the Dealership where I purchased it, but they say they have no record of the battery ever having been switched or
changed... (keeping in mind this is a new 2007 purchased in January 2009). Everything A-OK now, so far.
Cheers - RO

packen

I'm also curious to know what was the cause? I'm having this kind of problems too every now and then. But in my case it always starts on second try, but I'm afraid it might get worse. I've had my car on MB-service, but no fault-codes found :idunno: and all they did was they switched starter relay and wiper relay positions. (same relay, they said). But that didn't help in my case.
I too have had intermittent no start problems with my 07 518 CDI.
In my case it occurred after the vehicle had been running for some time and after a short stop.
The vehicle is currently with the doctor and I have been advised that it is most likely a faulty Engine Control Relay.
(K40/9 K4 in the cockpit fuse panel).
Pushing, probing and kicking did not help, but on 2 occasions left overnight it came good.
On an earlier visit to the doctor, the start sequence fuse and relay were replaced without fixing the fault.
Hopefully he has found the real cause this time.

Top Bottom