Transmission Dipstick Question

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Thanks to this Forum was able to change ATF/filter (not converter) with no real issues.
Got my dipstick from EuropartsSD along with fluid, filter, gasket,etc.
Filled transmission with carefully measured 5.0 litres save maybe half a cup spilled.
Accompanying instructions say, in part:
"Note: the dipstick will protrude from the fill tube approximately 75 mm (3")
when inserted on the 2002-2006 models. The dipstick will not protrude on
the 2007-2010 models"
I get an increased resistance at 3" protrusion (maybe bottoming) but I can push thru it to a hard stop at about 1" protrusion...didn't seem wise to force beyond that.
Warmed up, I read about 1/4" low (below "min" in warm range) at 3" and about 1/4" high (above "max" in warm range) at 1" protrusion.
Dipstick pic attached.
Any thoughts/ideas most appreciated/// Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

Daystar

My 2008 has a one inch protrusion. Next time you change your fluid, put in the dipstick with the pan off and see what it looks like. I wish I had thought to do that.

I get an increased resistance at 3" protrusion (maybe bottoming) but I can push thru it to a hard stop at about 1" protrusion...didn't seem wise to force beyond that.
My T1N has a similar resistance. Rather than push through it I've found that pulling back up and giving a bit of twist motion while inserting usually makes the resistance much less.

I don't know if the NCV3 tube will respond the same.

vic

sunnyside

I checked my trans fluid multiple times with a Amazon bought dip stick to get a feel for the right mark on the thing BEFORE I drained the trans. Made me way more comfortable with the readings after the replacement fluid was measured.

On a side note: MB scan tool measures transmission fluid temperature to get accurate
Fill levels. So I made sure the trans was or about ambient temp when checking old and new fluids for consistency.

Last edited:

Top Bottom