PDA

View Full Version : SprinterAssessories insulation

fredbail
01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Again with the insulation...Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Sprinter Accessories type pre cut Insulation Kit? ...Does it stay on? Is it thick enough to do the job? I am being recomended the "tigerfoam" kit...I have found no one around here (Frederick , Md.) in the spray foam business who wants to fool with it. Sp.Acs. does not have the short 118 package in stock now anyway. thanks to all

jeffsst2
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Hello, I got the pre-cut insulation kit. They didn't have on for my 118 2005 low top, so I believe they sent me a 148 kit. The double stick tape that came with the kit did not hold! I tried more tape, 3m super sticky spray adhesive (twice). I fianally used a silver tube of supper sticky "monkey snot" caulking type stuff. The insulation feels thin for the money. If I were to do it again, I would have used a silver backed rigid foam for the roof, and something else for the sides.

Jeff

baker
01-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I just bough a few rolls of Prodex reflective insulation to install later this week. Lowes carries it and you can get it online. I may double it up, per the suggestion of others.

http://www.insulation4less.com/

motobueno
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
The first thing to do is get a Danya mat type sound deadning material up .It takes that tin can sound away and also makes the van quiter inside.Then I put up a layer of the bubble pack type of reflective insulation(3M spray glue)Then I fitted and spray glued different thicknesses of rigid foam boards as to the contours of the walls.If that wasn't enough,I then found a screw driver the same dia. as the tube on the latex spray foam (lite expanding type) and poked holes in the foam board and filled the voids.God help the person that ever has to remove it.BUT is has done a great job.I do one section at a time.
Good Luck
Tom

CMechanial
01-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Get your insulation at JC Whitney. Was able to do my Van with the 4'x48' roll and about 6 cans 3m spray adhesive. This is heat/sound insulation. its about 3/8 thick. Insulation is is like blue jean fiber and a aluminum foil backing. It is also Fire retardant. My ford van was very noisly. That why I decided to insulate my sprinter. This van is very quiet. I use van for HVAC business. Lots of stuff in back.11316

twistyroad
01-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Get your insulation at JC Whitney. Was able to do my Van with the 4'x48' roll and about 6 cans 3m spray adhesive. This is heat/sound insulation. its about 3/8 thick. Insulation is is like blue jean fiber and a aluminum foil backing. It is also Fire retardant. My ford van was very noisly. That why I decided to insulate my sprinter. This van is very quiet. I use van for HVAC business. Lots of stuff in back.

Sounds like what I used, too. Look here (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5137&page=2).

stp57
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I used the foam board with the foam board adhesive. I didn't think that it was ever going to stop squeaking, but it eventually did. My van is for my handyman business, so the purpose of insulation is twofold: Keep the van cool so that my caulks, glues, paints, etc... don't ruin & to prevent tools & things from hitting the inside of the van & causing dimples or dents on the outside. Mission accomplished.
If I had it to do over again (before I built-in all of my shelves) I would do it the way that Motobueno did it.
Steve