PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plugs

cartajs
01-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi all, I am fairly new to the Sprinter world (and also to diesels):clapping:. I have a 2007 Sprinter/Glow plug question. I was told that when I start the engine that I turn the key to the position where all the dash lights come on and wait for the glow plug light to turn off before I start the engine. Well, it only takes about a second before the light goes off, then I start the engine.

Today we had a 0 degree morning and my van wouldn't start. The battery was fine, it cranked and all, just wouldn't start. The glow plug light once again was only on for a second.

Does this sound right to you? I was told that it should be on for 30 seconds or so on really cold days. Can someone tell me how long I'm supposed to wait before cranking the engine?

Aqua Puttana
01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
My Sprinter is a T1N 2004. My glow plug coil indicator light stays on much longer as the temperatures have dropped. In the summer it goes out quickly. Now that the temps are down to single digit Fahrenheit it stays on way past when the beeping of the initial key on stops. I'd assume the V6 NCV3 operation is similar. Hope this helps.

mean_in_green
01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
...Does this sound right to you?...Can someone tell me how long I'm supposed to wait before cranking the engine?

It sounds as though the plugs are heating normally (i.e. indicator remaining lit only briefly). It should crank briefly then fire straight away, like it really wants to start.

Aqua Puttana
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Does that mean with my T1N I should be concerned about the time lag increasing for the coil light to go out as the temps drop?
It sounds as though the plugs are heating normally (i.e. indicator remaining lit only briefly). It should crank briefly then fire straight away, like it really wants to start.

sikwan
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
My Sprinter is a T1N 2004. My glow plug coil indicator light stays on much longer as the temperatures have dropped. In the summer it goes out quickly. Now that the temps are down to single digit Fahrenheit it stays on way past when the beeping of the initial key on stops.

This is how my 2006 T1N works.

cartajs
01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
It sounds as if something is definitely wrong with my glow plugs. There is no way that it can heat up the cylinders in one second.

BaywoodBill
01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
It sounds as if something is definitely wrong with my glow plugs. There is no way that it can heat up the cylinders in one second.

From what I have experienced (my time lag varies by outside temperature as others have stated), I Agree that something is amiss with the plugs.... or the thing that lights them up.

mean_in_green
01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Does that mean with my T1N I should be concerned about the time lag increasing for the coil light to go out as the temps drop?

I'd say not: in moderate climes a variation of a second to three or four is the norm. The guy is asking whether it should be on for thirty - that's plainly wrong on a Sprinter, glow plug circuit faults excepted.

You'd be surprised how many Sprinter owners are unaware that they should wait for the glow plug indicator light to go out at all, speaking about it with people.

Altered Sprinter
01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
One second warm up! Depends how the fuel system is set for a fast burn.
My tin cold start...takes two seconds for glow light to go out before ignition start. Sprinters are designed to start at -20 c a longer glow plug time for warm up, before the light go of. 30 sec's No that's not right.
If already warm, less than a second for a restart.
Richard