Campervan issues in Oz

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It is sad sometimes, but the few can ruin the privilege for the many.

The truth is, these beautiful beaches will always be claimed by the wealthy. I can understand feeling irked by the "riffraff" who pay little or nothing, and use the same view.

At the same time, its important to remember that these areas belong to the public, just because someone doesn't have $$$$ doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy them.

There is a balance, but we don't want the best natural places on our planet to become enclaves for the wealthy and privileged only. :idunno:

This is a nuanced issue. But rest assured, if they could, many owners of these million dollar mansions would require a beach entrance fee of $50 or more per person, if only because wealth is an indicator of personal status.

If they don't want them camping there, have the government regulate/zone etc to create some reasonably priced accommodations?

MsNomer

Met a New Zealander at a campground the other day. He was driving a huuuge Class A, reveling that he could do that here when it would be virtually impossible in NZ, yet complaining that he couldn't park it on the beach in California.

glasseye

Met a New Zealander at a campground the other day. He was driving a huuuge Class A, reveling that he could do that here when it would be virtually impossible in NZ, yet complaining that he couldn't park it on the beach in California.
I just got back from a campervan experience in NZ. You can't camp anywhere unless there are signs specifically permitting it.

It's a two edged sword, for sure. NZ's experience has been bad with campers, so, to protect their otherwise pristine environment, they clamped down. We all suffer from the delinquencies of the few.

I bear that in mind every time I stealth camp here at home.

Ed463

It's a shame that a few (but increasing number) of dumb free loaders ruin things for the ones who are respectful of the environment and (temporary) neighbours.
We're always very careful when we free camping.

The French and to a lesser extent thier European neighbours have a very enlightened approach. Numerous free "aires" lots with full facilities but all with waste disposal. Just about every village / town will have them. They actively encourage camper vans/motorhomes.

On the other hand Morocco is abused by certain nationalities in thier €100k plus motorhomes. Stopping for free enmass but spending zilch in the local economy. All their provisions are bought in Lidl and Aldi (budget supermarkets) before they leave home:idunno:

Brian.

My home town in Wyoming allows 5 (or maybe it was 7) consecutive nights free camping in the city park. Only about 8~10 normal sized parking spots, but they saw a benefit to offering some free camping. It's not well advertised, and I understand that this is actually fairly common.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Offering lawful (free or not) camping/parking near desirable locations is beneficial. It reduces law enforcement overhead and makes residents feel better. Lots of folks freak out about a van parked across the street for some reason.

I am anxiously waiting for your posts on this!!
As am I. :thumbup:

Van camping and boating share the same problems.

When I stealth camp with vehicles or boats I'm very aware of not broadcasting my presence or to interfere with the locals/residents.

The clueless, and even more the arrogant who don't respect others really piss me off because it takes away my opportunities. Yes. I am selfish, but I also try to be courteous.

"Hanging laundry on hand rails to dry." Inconsiderate a$$holes at best. Show some respect.

vic

Ed463

For those on this thread only, a quick, secret preview. :cheers:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/7e31bad8-61bf-4e67-897e-bed1f74ef78f
That’s not fair:laughing:

We travelled around NZ for about 6 weeks (I was between jobs) in 2007. 6 of us. I'd convinced myself that it would be our last family holiday whilst the kids were still kids. Loved it. Although it did get to the point on the southern island of stunning view overload. We'd turn a corner and go wow look at that lake, mountain, glacier, ocean, tropical rain forest......after you'd done that 50 million times it gets a little repative:lol:
I called it the big kids play ground. I like their attitude to risk. When, for example, you sign up to ride a mountain bike down the side of a mountain there's a disclaimer along the lines of "you've decided to rent a bike off us and do stupid things like ride down a mountain. If you hurt/kill yourself that's your problem. Under NZ law you can't sue us"

Can't wait to see more photos. I've just bought an old(ish) fujifilm X10 off ebay to take on our next travels. I figure small and robust enough to carry around in my pocket.

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I just got back from a campervan experience in NZ. You can't camp anywhere unless there are signs specifically permitting it.

It's a two edged sword, for sure. NZ's experience has been bad with campers, so, to protect their otherwise pristine environment, they clamped down. We all suffer from the delinquencies of the few.

I bear that in mind every time I stealth camp here at home.
I think the clampdown in NZ stems from the loss of accommodation income, rather than the environment, although the environment is a convenient excuse. Its been like this for many many years in NZ. Its like Tasmania have started doing here in Oz, but in true ozzy fashion, they call a spade a spade and come out and say that they enforce it solely to support their local accommodation operators. They don't try and hide their greed like NZ does.

sadlonelygit

me and wifey did 3 months 'dahnnnn unda'
in oz we stayed on the east coast and every night stopped in basic but pleasant sites run by the DoC, iirc it was @$10aus but they always had a free barbie to use.
in nz they also had cheap DoC sites but also council approved areas for which you had to have a self contained green approval sticker otherwise a 'nice' man would come around at 10.30pm and tell you to move. we of course had a wicked van so were earmarked straight away as troublemakers. however right down the bottom of the south island no-one cared, same with the coramandel. we did have a boom box with us if we needed to go in the middle of the night we didn't pollute the local flora.

Top Bottom