PDA

View Full Version : Welding shut the egr port. Why not?

slowgsr
12-11-2016, 04:05 PM
I read the thread about tricking the pcm with a simple circuit, and I know green diesels tuning deletes it, but could one tig a block off in the intake at the head? I'm cleaning up all my parts to readable my engine with a brand new cylinder head.

I could only think that when the egr is active the pcm can account for this unmetered air which is entering the engine not being from the maf.

I'm struggling to remove this egr now so I can clean the carbon from the manifold but I'm sure ill get it. At the end of the day I could just leave it all alone since it seems like its more trouble then its worth...

Thanks for any insight

Midwestdrifter
12-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Blocking the EGR off will only work with a ECM reflash to remove the EGR from operation. Otherwise you will go into LHM.

To aid removing the EGR, heating the surrounding area to 200f+ is beneficial.

slowgsr
12-11-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm talking more along the lines of pulling the intake manifold and welding up the egr port where the intake meets the head. The valve itself could remain in place. The

Midwestdrifter
12-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Its a good idea, but the sprinters actively compare the MAF expected values to the actual. Without EGR flow it will see the mismatch (even with the valve installed). This will result in a MAF or EGR code, and likely LHM. :idunno:

slowgsr
12-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Thank your sir, that's what I expected. At least I got my egr out and cleaned the manifold, off the engine. Suprisingly my 350km engine the egr was not the least bit gummed up, just terribly seazed in the manifold.

Off topic but do you know if the egr motor can be 180 deg out? Since I had to seperate it to attach a puller.

Midwestdrifter
12-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Which type of EGR? 02-03 or 04-06?

slowgsr
12-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Its on an 06.

Midwestdrifter
12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I am not certain. The only incidences of this EGR being disassembled resulted in the unit not functioning due to lack of calibration? As long as the drive shaft mates with the motor, I think you will be okay? When you disassembled it the valve would have been fully closed.

You might connect the motor/sensor assembly to the van and cycle the ignition. After shutdown the EGR will do a self clean cycle, and go to the closed position. This will hopefully show you how to assemble?

slowgsr
12-12-2016, 04:17 AM
Thank you, when I separated it I may have turned it slightly, but turned it back how I thought was correct to line up. It moves freely and snaps back shut firmly. Never had an egr code before, but removing it for cleaning of the manifold was needed.
Ever see how guys clean tdi manifolds? Works for the sprinter too.

Midwestdrifter
12-12-2016, 04:25 AM
Makes sense. The TDI manifolds get crazy bad, I have seen one with only 3/8" not blocked!

From what I understand the T1N sprinter manifolds don't get that bad by a long shot.

Brokecanadian
12-18-2016, 02:59 AM
Install the circuit and leave the egr be. You'll thank yourself later