cold weather Start Error

EEJ

First time I've seen this; no click when going to ignition position 2 for glow plug heat-up, Start Error on the dash display, and no start motor engagement at position 3. As soon as temps come above freezing, no error and it will start. Anyone else seen this?

Both battery and alternator are relatively new, voltages look good.

Thanks,
Eric

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Check the horn fuse. It powers the skreem could be weak?

Otherwise the skreem might be getting flaky?

There are a variety of T1N sprinter problems which can be traced to the fuse block. It might be worth checking the relays and connections to make sure they're tight.

EEJ

It threw a bunch of glow plug codes as well. It turned out I had a new glow plug module I'd never installed; installed that;, we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Start error means that the skreem/immobilizer is not successfully completing its check of the transponder in the key. This can be caused by power supply issues, low voltage, or communications issues on the CANbus.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Start error means that the skreem/immobilizer is not successfully completing its check of the transponder in the key.
With the right key, but no chip the engine still turns over and will actually fire for a revolution or 2 before fuel gets cut and you get the "start error" message on the LCD dash screen. This is for a OM612, I'm not sure how the OM647 is in this regard. I have a hide a key that isn't chipped just for van access, I tried to start the van with the non chipped key to see what happened...

With the right key, but no chip the engine still turns over and will actually fire for a revolution or 2 before fuel gets cut and you get the "start error" message on the LCD dash screen. This is for a OM612, I'm not sure how the OM647 is in this regard. I have a hide a key that isn't chipped just for van access, I tried to start the van with the non chipped key to see what happened...
That is a difference in design between a Sprinter with remote locks RKE and one without.

Remote lock vans not detecting a chip will crank and then die at which time the Start Error displays.

Those without remote locks will not crank at all and display Start Error immediately.

vic

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
That is a difference in design between a Sprinter with remote locks RKE and one without.

Remote lock vans not detecting a chip will crank and then die at which time the Start Error displays.

Those without remote locks will not crank at all and display Start Error immediately.

vic
Ahh, I didn't know that.

Pnwsquid

I personally would use Green Diesel to fix this issue over SOS.

As an add-on to their tune, they can disable the SKREEM module which will 100% eliminate the problem. That, and you get a solid tune/EGF delete for $700...

EEJ

I personally would use Green Diesel to fix this issue over SOS.

As an add-on to their tune, they can disable the SKREEM module which will 100% eliminate the problem. That, and you get a solid tune/EGF delete for $700...
I contacted Green Diesel first thing. They recommended I call SOS as they can't do anything until the engine is running again.

Eric

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I have never had this issue. But I have worked with lots of finicky electronics in my hobbies, and occasionally at work.

The first thing I would do, is after confirming all the wiring and the fuse block is good (everything getting power when cold). I would pull the skreem and remove the PCB from its case. Using a magnifying glass I would thoroughly inspect the PCB for cracked/dry solder joints, and damaged components. :idunno:

If you value your time highly (more money than time) SOS diagnostics is the way to go based on others results.

vic
That wasn't the case with my 03. Has remote but would not crank & get S.E. GreenDiesel improved performance but, as stated, didn't address S.E. which I still get occasionally. One hand on emergency flasher pushing down and a couple swift blows to fuse box cover gets me going. Replaced fuse box, so evidently one of the wire connectors is amiss. :2cents:

jsrmonster

I just looked at one from auction with start error (no crank or ecu life, temic/skreem is only module alive - manual locks), its been to a bunch of shops to repair for past 4 years. I always get the problem child.
Here is a screen shot below. I'll keep you posted after get it towed here to dig into it more. I also located a running wreck for parts as well, for immo delete project. Jeff

Last edited:

That wasn't the case with my 03. Has remote but would not crank & get S.E. GreenDiesel improved performance but, as stated, didn't address S.E. which I still get occasionally. One hand on emergency flasher pushing down and a couple swift blows to fuse box cover gets me going. Replaced fuse box, so evidently one of the wire connectors is amiss. :2cents:
Interesting.

Do you have an OEM remote Fob or aftermarket?

If OEM, the difference may be between the NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 Model Year (OM612) and NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 MY (OM647).

The 2004 - 2006 operations have been verified. I can't say as I recall the 2001 - 2003 showing any testing/verification results here on Sprinter-source.

Some info is here.

Overview - SKREEM SKIM (SKIS) and RKE Starting Difference?
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30941

vic

david_42

I had this problem early on (in 2005) and the SKREEM had to be replaced. Fortunately under warranty. Was a real pain to diagnose, as it developed right at freezing and by the time the tech tested the system it was fine. The Green Diesel solution wasn't available back then.

EEJ

Just got a new and re-programmed SKREEM module back from SOS. Plugged it in and the van started right up no errors, and it was freaking cold outside!

Very happy with the efficient service from SOS Diagnostics, and with the resources available on this board that make it possible to diagnose a difficult problem like this. The alternative would have been to tow it to a dealer.

Eric

Top Bottom