Installing ESPAR D2 - Battery Connection?

Kauluwela

I am finishing up install of ESPAR D2 under passenger seat on my 2016 4X4 144.

Install went well, although I cant figure out where to connect the power leads to under the drivers seat?

I did use an orphan battery and started the heater last night, everything works well and it cranks out heat, I just am left scratching my head regarding where to connect the positive lead to? I know where to ground it, there are several ground posts under the drivers seat, although where do I connect the positive to?

The problem is I want a 'constant hot' connection to the factory auxillary battery.

Does anyone know where I can find the factory lead that connects to the dual battery solenoid under the drivers seat where I can connect the ESPAR so it will always be hot and I can run the ESPAR without the key in the ignition?

My thoughts are the posts shown in attached photos in YELLOW are is the auxiliary battery solenoid that combines the auxillary and main batteries and I should be able to connect to the upstream side of the auxillary battery?

Is the part circled in RED the battery shutoff switch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers!

Attachments

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Does anyone know where I can find the factory lead that connects to the dual battery solenoid under the drivers seat where I can connect the ESPAR so it will always be hot and I can run the ESPAR without the key in the ignition?

My thoughts are the posts shown in attached photos in YELLOW are is the auxiliary battery solenoid that combines the auxillary and main batteries and I should be able to connect to the upstream side of the auxillary battery?

Is the part circled in RED the battery shutoff switch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers!
Yellow is the relay for your aux battery. Don't attach anything to that. Red is the attachment point for anything you want to run from the aux battery. It's always hot.

The thing I've circled blue in your picture is the starter battery EK1 terminal, and you can get an always-on source from that too. However, considering you have the aux battery, it's probably better to tap in to the aux so you don't run your starter battery down by accident.

JME3505 already posted a link, but read this to learn more. http://sprintervanusa.com/2016/08/07/tapping-in-to-the-sprinter-vans-battery/

Attachments

Last edited:

Medic

Regarding the factory auxiliary battery connection.
I understand the Red is always hot, and I connect there.
I understand that I'll use the factory ground where the brown wires are bolted to the floor.
I don't understand; at the connection point, under the cover, where the red wire is, there is a copper plate connecting the two terminals. Is this a fuse? And if it is, should I replace it with a 100amp "mega fuse" to protect any misgivings down stream from the connection, or should I just place it "inline before my battery kill switch?
My plan is to tap into the aux battery, run power/ground to a blue sea blade fuse panel (with a battery kill switch in between)
From the blue sea I'll simply run a half dozen 3w lights and some USB charging stations, all controlled by a rocker switch panel. And a MaxxAir fan.
Can someone clarify the copper plate at the the factory auxiliary tap in location, and clarify the need for a "mega fuse" or not?
Thank you.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You didn't say if you wanted the Espar to be powered by your "house" battery or by your "starter" battery.
The three-bolt terminal strip (shown below) is connected to your "starter" battery.

wiring23a.jpg

--dick

Top Bottom