PDA

View Full Version : 05 "fires" won't run. Temp mid 20s

Hsbc05
12-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I tried to start my sprinter. Waited for the glo plugs to warm up, tried to start and it seemed to fire, but won't stay running need help. 05 sprinter 2500 with 2.7.

Aqua Puttana
12-08-2016, 02:24 PM
I tried to start my sprinter. Waited for the glo plugs to warm up, tried to start and it seemed to fire, but won't stay running need help. 05 sprinter 2500 with 2.7.
Assuming winter season fuel in that temperature range fuel gelling is unlikely.

Diesel fuel gelling happens when the paraffin usually present in diesel starts to solidify when the temperature drops. At 32 degrees, the wax in liquid form will crystallize and leave the fuel tank clouded. At 10-15 degrees, it will finally start to gel and clog the tank and fuel filters.
http://yourfuelsolution.com/2015/01/how-to-prevent-diesel-fuel-gelling/

You may have a sensor which is temperature sensitive. That is a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

vic

Hsbc05
12-08-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm at a total loss as what to do. Not a diesel mechanic by any stretch. Seems like it is going to run, then nothing.

Aqua Puttana
12-08-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm at a total loss as what to do. Not a diesel mechanic by any stretch. Seems like it is going to run, then nothing.
:idunno:

Some people have used this with good results.

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-911/

Do you have some method to heat the engine? Alternatively, maybe a hair dryer on the fuel filter and fuel pump on the front of the engine will get you over the hump.

vic

Added:
Don't run the battery too low. That will contribute to no start.

Hsbc05
12-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Used the hairdryer thing. Held pedal down and after and few tries, it started. Thinking new fuel filter.

mendonsy
12-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Used the hairdryer thing. Held pedal down and after and few tries, it started. Thinking new fuel filter.
Yes, you'll need to replace the fuel filter and also add some fuel conditioner to the tank. Powerservice white bottle works good for general use and the diesel 911 is good for an emergency.

Hsbc05
12-09-2016, 10:29 PM
I changed the filter yesterday, added powerservice white bottle, and it ran for a little bit. Parked yesterday, and about 24 hrs later today, I tried starting and it did the same thing as yesterday.

slowgsr
12-10-2016, 12:32 AM
How are your glow plug and gpr? Injector health in check ?

Hsbc05
12-10-2016, 12:47 PM
How do I check glow plugs, and what is gpr?

Aqua Puttana
12-10-2016, 02:36 PM
How do I check glow plugs, and what is gpr?
gpr is likely Glow Plug Relay. That is more typically referred to as the Glow Plug Module on Sprinters.

If your MIL aka CEL isn't lit your glow plug system is likely ok.
I changed the filter yesterday, added powerservice white bottle, and it ran for a little bit. Parked yesterday, and about 24 hrs later today, I tried starting and it did the same thing as yesterday.
What is the ambient temperature? Do you for certain have winter blend fuel? Did you try the hair dryer again?

vic

mendonsy
12-10-2016, 04:21 PM
If you have a bad tank of fuel it won't hurt to dump in a whole lot more than the recommended amount of Powerservice.

Midwestdrifter
12-10-2016, 04:29 PM
With a stone cold engine, turn the ignition to run. How long does it take for the glow plug light to extinguish?

If the plugs aren't running at all, it will be difficult to start the engine in temps below freezing. If the ECM thinks the engine is warmer than it really is that could also contribute?

A cause of no start or start then stall conditions is sometimes the MAF sensor. Unplugging it is a quick way of checking, as the engine will still start and idle with it disconnected.

With temps below freezing there is always the chance of frozen water in the fuel filter or tank.

Draining the fuel filter from the water drain can't hurt. It also can't hurt to put some fuel from there into a clear bottle. If its cloudy (even when warmed up) it may have water contamination.

Hsbc05
12-11-2016, 02:50 AM
Thank for the ideas. I had a friend pull the codes. P0380. Something to do with glow plug circuit a heater?

Hsbc05
12-11-2016, 02:52 AM
With a stone cold engine, turn the ignition to run. How long does it take for the glow plug light to extinguish?

It takes close to 10 sec probably

Midwestdrifter
12-11-2016, 02:56 AM
It takes close to 10 sec probably

The code you mention is related to glow plugs. And 10 seconds seems a bit short for 20F, but might be okay.

It should still start though. Hmmm.

With the ignition on, can you hear the hum from the in-tank fuel pump? It should run for about 30 seconds whenever the ignition is switched on. If it doesn't run, you will get a no start condition. It can be fairly quiet, but should be audible from under the vans fuel tank.

Hsbc05
12-11-2016, 03:06 AM
It had a code on 4 of 5 cylinders for glow plugs, but heard problem with one could cause codes on others

Aqua Puttana
12-11-2016, 01:18 PM
It had a code on 4 of 5 cylinders for glow plugs, but heard problem with one could cause codes on others

In what way? Maybe with the new design OEM replacement glow plug module...

The original style glow plug module uses fuse links with a voltage comparator monitor. I've heard where the exact glow plug position can be confused in the displayed DTC, but not that good plugs are indicated as bad.

vic

misterbond10
12-12-2016, 02:03 AM
Do you have the valve on the fuel filter? If so open that up and turn ignition ON for a few seconds to release the water inside of it. Manual specifies the procedure. Then shut it ofcourse

Hsbc05
12-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Mine doesn't have a valve on the bottom, but just changed the filter.

Hsbc05
12-12-2016, 03:04 AM

In what way? Maybe with the new design OEM replacement glow plug module...

The original style glow plug module uses fuse links with a voltage comparator monitor. I've heard where the exact glow plug position can be confused in the displayed DTC, but not that good plugs are indicated as bad.

vic

Not sure what was meant when I was told that. I think cylinders 1-4 showed open circuit glow plug codes, but the p0380 was for glow plug circuit a I think.

Hsbc05
07-24-2018, 04:03 AM
I just discovered I am terrible at follow up post. Sorry. I got the glow plugs replaced and haven’t had issues since. Thanks everyone for your help.