PDA

View Full Version : insullation

fredbail
01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello all. Anyone seen any generic insullation I can cut and place? The sprinter parts has a kit for the larger vans, mine is a 118". Spray foam doesn't sound good, as I would like to apply said insullation without then having to protect it with plywood, or another covering. What I would like to see is a pliable mat that has a peal and place kind of backing. thanks

lzcamper
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I used this insulation (http://www.insulation4less.com/prodex_Ffmf.asp) and stuck it on with double-sided tape, but it is covered with paneling. I don't know if it would stay up without paneling.

Rick

baker
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Did you notice a drastic heat reduction in the interior? I also need to insulate and add a fan. I'm considering using FRP on the ceiling to cover it all up. Anyone have any experience with FRP?

Aqua Puttana
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's something I learned over years of buying used vans where color wasn't a priority so I've owned some dark colors. If you have a dark color roof paint it white. After painting my van tops white I always called them Maxi-Coopers. You'll hardly believe how much cooler the inside becomes.

No matter what you might think nobody really cares if your vehicle top is white. If you think it does matter just the paint the white above the curve leaving the color to be seen from the sides. You'll still get about 80% of the top white. Enough to make a real difference.

Don't make the mistake I made once. I had some white oil base enamel hanging around. In the spirit of re-use and recycle I figured "Who cares if it is as shiny smooth as spray paint. It's the roof." Well shiny didn't matter, but the white leaching down onto the sides of my black van sure was hard to get off......again and again. Use a high gloss spray paint if you're going to it. Hope this helps.

lzcamper
01-15-2009, 04:45 AM
I haven't camped in the van yet to evaluate the effects of the insulation. My Sprinter is a passenger van, so half of each sidewall is glass. I also used fiberglas batting in the sidewalls between the outer wall and the Prodex.

The statement about having a white rooftop is right on. A vent in the roof and an open window below also helps avoid a heat buildup inside the van.

Rick

imshaken
01-15-2009, 05:05 AM
I had the back of my Dodge Sprinter spray foamed. I masked and plastic wrap protected everything in the back that I didn't want sprayed. It cost me ~$350. The foam is fairly hard and I haven't protected it at all on the ceiling, although I did put the paneling on the sides. The insulation has made a large difference in how warm the back stays in the winter and cool in the summer. (It's a work truck for me). As far as I'm concerned the foam is the only way to go and it's tougher than you might think.

Good Luck!