PDA

View Full Version : I need to change the timing chain cover

Mtn Tamer
12-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Do I need to loosen or unhook the timing chain in order to remove the cover? Any one had experience with this?

Midwestdrifter
12-04-2016, 04:24 PM
I am not 100% sure, but from viewing the parts breakdown and photos on the web, it appears that the cover can be removed with the chain in place. Obviously you need to remove the crank pulley to get the lower half off.

lindenengineering
12-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Removing the cover is a bit of "Hi Jiggery Pokerie" as they would say in the West of England!

In short you don't need to disconnect the chain per se, but you will have to pull out the top valve cover and front "mini" cover to gain access to two vertical bolts which run through the head at the front .
You will also need to release the pan and to do that it means jacking the engine up off its mounts and supporting it by two pieces of 2X4 soft wood blocks.

Putting it back is a chore since the lower part of the head gasket being a 3 sheet steel laminate affair of three gets puckered up during removal and slithering it back in, its a very tight fit--(a bit of MB precision in the machining area) The last one I did required me to slice off the f'ward end of the head gasket lowest shim section and cut a repair piece from a new a gasket to slide in thereby sealing the timing chest. The entry of the two vertical 10 mm head to timing cover threaded pockets is of particularly a chore and extreme care has to be exercised to avoid tearing up the threads in the case.

Given the choice I will always elect to pull the engine out and mount it an engine stand then start work. The time to do the job is about the same but it avoids possible install mistakes and is so much easier out of the frame.

In fact I have one in at the moment where the exhaust cam wheel let go and the pistons have all whacked the valves--engine out pan off head off--pistons out!
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic

Mtn Tamer
12-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a long process, but I don't have a choice. The alternator mounts areally broke.

Mtn Tamer
12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a process but I don't have a choice. The alternator mounts areally broke aND I need to change out the cover. Anyone have a used cover?

Mtn Tamer
12-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a long process, but I don't have a choice. The alternator mounts areally broke.

Mtn Tamer
12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Sorry my response posted so many times.