2007 sprinter stopped working with P0730

It is long time to come this site :)

Today, I was heading from LA to SF.
And it suddenly slow down speed, and completely stopped.

So, I turned off engine. and turned on again.
And it moved for 10-20 second for low speed, and it completely stopped again.
I tried same thing few times, and sameething happen.

BTW, My sprinter has had intermittent LHM problem.
However it was ok after turned off/on.

However, This time, it was totally different problem.
So, I called local roadside tech, and he had sprinter scanner.
What he got was
P0299 $07E8(Turbocharger...) <--- I think I had this time intermittently. So I think it is ok.
P0730 $07E8 (Incorrect Gear Ratio), <---I think this is the new code. and I think this cause problem.

Now, I'm in hotel, and I found out that local dodge, mercedes dealer tow for FREE :yell:
So, I will call Mercedes to tow my truck tomorrow morning.
(BTW, Do they normally tow sprinter with 14' box dually too?)

I searched web, and I found these.
1. http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/9v3wy-trying-find-details-trouble-code.html
2. http://straighttalkautomotive.com/OBD2/P0730.html

Recently I got a A or B service from dodge dealer. so I think my transmission fluid is ok.
Dealer check transmission fluid on every A, B service, right??

Please Let me have any comments, advise, and possible cost to fix.
I hope not to ripped off , and go back to home before thanksgiving.
Thank you for advance !!

eeazye

It would seem with the suddenness of the problem, and the inability to do a soft reset (cycling the ignition,) that you have a wiring issue, sensor, or a hard part that broke in the trans. Without a real trans code to go off, it's guessing. Have you crawled underneath to have a look for obvious fluid leaks, wiring amiss, or something broken externally?

kendall69

Change your inlet hoses. Every time this happens to me I change the two hoses LEFT & RIGHT and it sure the problem, Last time the hose looked perfect after I removed it, I found no crack no leak, but the new hose cured the problem - I don' get it.

Now you know why I never take my Sprinter no more than a tow trucks drive away from home.

Froggy

Kendall69: Are you talking about inlet hoses to the transmission? If not, what inlet hoses are you changing? Thanks!

I left my sprinter in MB dealer. and they told me that they will check on monday.

I think it is related with transmission, not just hoses.
Because I don't think just bad hose can make P0730 code.
And in fact, for couple of months, I could feel something (very small) grrr noise or vibration when I push accelerator.
I was unsure if it was abnormal. However after getting this problem with the code, I get to think it was related with transmission.
I'm not too sure yet. I'm just thinking like that.

By the way,
The current mileage is 176,982.
I'm not too sure when I change transmission fluid.
However I went to dodge dealer 2-3 months ago to get A or B service, so I think they did check transmission fluid at that time.
If they didn't check mission fluid, and if the problem caused from old mission fluid, do the dodge dealer has a kind of responsibility for that?

Change your inlet hoses. Every time this happens to me I change the two hoses LEFT & RIGHT and it sure the problem, Last time the hose looked perfect after I removed it, I found no crack no leak, but the new hose cured the problem - I don' get it.

Now you know why I never take my Sprinter no more than a tow trucks drive away from home.
Did you get P0730 code when you got the problem?

It would seem with the suddenness of the problem, and the inability to do a soft reset (cycling the ignition,) that you have a wiring issue, sensor, or a hard part that broke in the trans. Without a real trans code to go off, it's guessing. Have you crawled underneath to have a look for obvious fluid leaks, wiring amiss, or something broken externally?
I couldn't see anything wrong externally.
Thanks.

kendall69

Kendall69: Are you talking about inlet hoses to the transmission? If not, what inlet hoses are you changing? Thanks!
No sorry, the TURBO HOSES. I think they get weak and collapse. They look fine but somehow weaken. Fresh hoses cleared it for me. It's a five minute job per hose. Now I just change them every 30-40K miles just to play it safe.

One more question.
When my sprinter stopped working, I called couple of towing company.
And one of them told me they have roadside tech who can fix sprinter.
And they told me they can fix it. However the tech couldn't fix it.
Even though they couldn't fix it, I saw, in my online bank, they charged $345 for the service.
They told me they will charge only $250 if they can't fix.

Is this normally what they charge for?

If I towed right away to dealer at that time, I could save $345+ another towing cost($200)
, and I could ask MB dealer to check my sprinter yesterday morning.

Bigscore

Mine 2010 shut down like this once. It was a blown fuse, number 16 I think. Basically the fuse feed power that down stream feeds the transmission control unit and the sprinter wouldn't ship from first gear and wouldn't restart(because it thought there wasn't a tranny any more). After a late night tow tonthe dealer they replaced the fuse and I felt stupid for not checking every fuse in the box.

Mine 2010 shut down like this once. It was a blown fuse, number 16 I think. Basically the fuse feed power that down stream feeds the transmission control unit and the sprinter wouldn't ship from first gear and wouldn't restart(because it thought there wasn't a tranny any more). After a late night tow tonthe dealer they replaced the fuse and I felt stupid for not checking every fuse in the box.
Thank you for your reply.
By the way, at that time, what code did you get?
Did you get p0730 code too?

I just talked with MB service advisor.
At first time, he told me that he will charge $3XX for diagnosis.
And now, He told me that they have to bring down transmission to check, and in that case, they have to charge $7xx(not $3xx) for diagnosis.

Do you think is it fair?

Top Bottom