Physical Location of Engine Serial Number on Engine Block

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I found a thread from a bunch of non North American folks (NAFTA) stating the physical location of the Engine Serial Number is located below the crank position sensor near the bell housing. Can anyone verify this is also true on NAFTA sprinters? I don't have my vehicle with me and the next time I see it the engine block will be divorced and I want to verify the serial number.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I recently started a thread on this topic. The consensus is that the engine number is supposed to be located on a flat above the starter right next to the bell housing (by the crank position sensor). My sprinter has this flat, but no number there! So i am at a loss. :idunno:

The engine number will start with 612 or 647, flowed by the remainder of the engine part number. The last set of digits is the serial number for that engine.

The easiest way is to get the engine number from the data card in EPC. Either call the dealer with the VIN or you can PM the vin to me.

Yes, I understand someone could have swapped out the engine but it is not likely. Not likely that the customs agent will take the time to find the engine number if you have look for it and are not able to find it.

Mike

The engine number is located just above the crankshaft position sensor. Here is a picture on an engine I have out. The numbers are very faint and usually are rusted.

Mike

Attachments

vanski

With the engine out it should be easy to check for the presence of the number. :thinking: There needs to be one somewhere?
This is what I'm hoping!! And hopefully it will match the number on the data card file Roger provided a while back!

The reason why I'm looking for this is I have a small concern the shop I'm working with will swap a bad block out for my good block and tell me I need XYZ. That would be an easy way to get $XX,XXX dollars out of someone.

vanski

The engine number is located just above the crankshaft position sensor. Here is a picture on an engine I have out. The numbers are very faint and usually are rusted.

Mike
Thanks MIke!!!! Fainted is right. if you were to take a pencil and a piece of paper and lightly scratch over what look to be holes, can you make out the number?

Last edited:
I use a brass brush and spray it with brake cleaner. The number is more legible when it is wet. It usually takes a few tries to get the whole number.

Good luck,

Mike

The reason why I'm looking for this is I have a small concern the shop I'm working with will swap a bad block out for my good block and tell me I need XYZ. That would be an easy way to get $XX,XXX dollars out of someone.
On a side note, you need to find a shop that you can trust. As a shop owner, I will pass on any job unless there is mutual trust on both sides.

Mike

vanski

On a side note, you need to find a shop that you can trust. As a shop owner, I will pass on any job unless there is mutual trust on both sides.

Mike
Thanks for being one of the good guys Mike! Unfortunately the industry is fraught with deceit, lies, and taking advantage of people. I do trust these folks otherwise they wouldn't have my vehicle. But just because I trust them doesn't mean I shouldn't take the most basic of steps to protect myself in case this assessment is incorrect. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Top Bottom