Wide angle side mirrors - need web site

lzcamper

I have an '06 Sprinter with standard mount outside mirrors with "blind spot" mirrors (stick-on) and they work well on the highway, but they block my normal view when backing up (unless I change the position of the mirror). Last year, I googled a web site that made replacement mirrors for normal outside mirrors and they curve closer to the outside edge. In other words, when you look at the inner part of the mirror the view is normal, but as you look out toward the edge you see a wider field of view. As I remember, you had to send them a template of your mirrors so they could make replacements that fit. They cost around $80 each.

Have any of you purchased or saved the web site of the company that makes these mirrors? If so, could you state how they work and include the web site in your response.

Rick

lzcamper

Bill, the OEM mirrors on my Sprinter have relatively short plastic arms. On the passenger side, the top-mounted convex mirror would be partially blocked by the vertical metal strip on the window.

Sik, the mirror that you bought is close to the one I described, but for a while, I'll keep searching for the one that has a normal perspective on the inner part.

Thanks for your suggestions, Rick

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Bill, the OEM mirrors on my Sprinter have relatively short plastic arms. On the passenger side, the top-mounted convex mirror would be partially blocked by the vertical metal strip on the window.
You don't even notice it in reality - the factory add on ones work well, albeit at the expense of increased drag.

Nbulken

I've actually got a problem with the driver's side pillar blocking my main mirror. I use the trouble spot mirror 95% of the time. is there a mounting system which would push the mount forward about an inch?

lzcamper

MIG, How significant is the increased drag created by top-mounted mirrors? My original statement was incorrect. The forward position of my driver's seat would cause about half of a top-mounted mirror (on the passenger side) to be blocked by the door pillar, not the vertical metal strip on the window.

Rick

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
MIG, How significant is the increased drag created by top-mounted mirrors?
I don't know in drag coefficient drag terms Rick, but mirrors are the biggest mpg robbers you've got on the outside profile (leaving bull bars / spot lights out of it for a moment) and the add on wide angles aren't that slippery. My fuel economy remained comparable after fitting them.

The door pillar does partially block my nearside view (RHD remember) but the part which is obscured is actually the least useful in terms of reflected view - the part which remains is actually the bit I want to see: the view immediately to the side of me behind the B pillar.

A friend has mounted a parabolic mirror on the standard door mirror, which is probably the most drag friendly way of doing this albeit at the expense of reduced viewing area.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Too bad about the short arms. I wasn't aware that our mirrors were not standard. On our 2005 the mirrors will pivot on the vertical shaft as well as click forward or back in the detents in the mounting hardware. At first I did not understand that the mirrors would pivot on the vertical shaft and my wife and I were cursing our inablity to get the mirrors positioned in a suitable place. Now we have it licked and both of us have a clear view in both side mirrors and their top-mounted convex cousins.

Last edited:

Top Bottom