PDA

View Full Version : 2006 T1N 2500 no start issue

dbrown
11-17-2016, 04:39 AM
First post here, but I have gotten much help from this forum over the past year. My current issue is that the van will turn over with no problem and will run for a second or maybe two then dies. In the last week I have: replaced fuel filter, run diesel purge through system, tested pressure from pickup fuel pump (100PSI), tested free flow volume through fuel filter (1 gallon in approximately 50 seconds or 72GPH), tested injectors as prescribed on posts here (less than 1/4" of fuel in tubes after 11 seconds of cranking). I found on here how to test fuel solenoid and will be doing that tomorrow or Friday if I have enough daylight after work. Is there anything else that I need to test at the same time? I haven't found how to test the HP injector pump. Is there a method for testing it?

The short back story is that van has 62K miles on it and was running and driving fine on Sunday. On Monday morning I got in to take kids to school and it wouldn't crank. My scan tool (Autel Maxidiag 802) showed P0087 for low rail pressure. Waited a few hours when temps got into the upper 60's and tried again after clearing code. Van cranked and would idle for 5 to 10 seconds then die. Researched on forum, got supplies, and tested as indicated above.

There is a long backstory to all the fun times I have had working on this van, but I'll spare you that tale. I have only had the P0087 code one other time and that was a clogged fuel filter about 5K miles ago. Any additional direction for where to look would be greatly appreciated!

Cheyenne
11-17-2016, 07:21 AM
How long has the Diesel been in the tank? Sounds rather like 'Diesel Bug'!

Just my :2cents:

Keith.

dbrown
11-17-2016, 02:35 PM
How long has the Diesel been in the tank? Sounds rather like 'Diesel Bug'!

Just my :2cents:

Keith.

It is my family vehicle (daily driver), so this tank is less than two weeks old. Only fill up at my usual good stations (Shell and Chevron). Fuel that was pumped through filter into clear jug was completely clean (as expected). Free flow through fuel filter was approximately 72GPH which I think is within spec for the in tank fuel pump.

If the in-tank pump meets spec for pressure (no flow) and free flow (no pressure) is there any chance that it is still bad and not flowing enough at a higher pressure?

Aqua Puttana
11-17-2016, 03:13 PM

If the in-tank pump meets spec for pressure (no flow) and free flow (no pressure) is there any chance that it is still bad and not flowing enough at a higher pressure?
:idunno:

Didn't you mention that a fuel filter change worked last time?

Do you have remote locks? There is a security delayed cutoff associated with the SKREEM recognition but,... I'd expect a Start Error dash warning to be associated if that is involved. That delay is not included without remote locks.

Stuck open EGR's can sometimes cause odd operating behavior, but wouldn't explain the earlier no crank.

Check the hose connections and clamps on the air filter box outlet to the turbo inlet. Leaks there can cause odd problems, but again, wouldn't explain the earlier no crank.

Maybe try swapping the M relay under the steering column with one of the adjacent relays.

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87705#post87705

Sorry I can't offer more.

vic

dbrown
11-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Vic, it is a passenger van with no power locks and I am using the factory keys. I think that it is fuel related, but not completely sure. My live data from the 802 shows rail pressure reaching 300 +/- BAR, the van will fire off enough to deactivate the starter, but then won't stay running. Disconnecting the cam sensor and turning over generates around 350 BAR max on live data from fuel rail reading.

Last time I had the P0087 code (a few months back and about 5K miles ago), changing the fuel filter solved it. That time, it was running down the interstate under pretty heavy load (pulling a hill) and began loosing power, then stopped running. It would crank back and idle, but would bog out and die if you gave it any throttle. This time, failure mode was different. It drove fine one day and would not start the next. Only commonality was the P0087 code.

dbrown
11-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Vic, I meant to ask what open EGR symptoms might look like. I keep a log of all my fillups and all maintenance on the van and have noticed a small decrease in fuel economy (it is now 17mpg combined city/interstate driving, 18 on interstate at 80mph). When we first got the van a year ago, it was 18 combined and 20 interstate. It wasn't enough for me to be concerned about, but maybe it is another symptom?

Midwestdrifter
11-17-2016, 06:35 PM
An intermittent mass airflow signal can cause stalling. Check the connector and try starting it with the mass airflow sensor disconnected.

If you still are seeing low fuel pressure an injector can sometimes cause excessive leak back. :idunno:

dbrown
11-17-2016, 10:43 PM
An intermittent mass airflow signal can cause stalling. Check the connector and try starting it with the mass airflow sensor disconnected.

If you still are seeing low fuel pressure an injector can sometimes cause excessive leak back. :idunno:

That was it! Unplugged MAF and it cranked right up. Thanks for the help!

Midwestdrifter
11-17-2016, 10:52 PM
That was it! Unplugged MAF and it cranked right up. Thanks for the help!

Before you condemn the MAF make sure you check all of your intake piping. A big tear or hose that has popped off will cause the same symptoms.

BenJohnson
11-18-2016, 04:35 AM
Nice work MWD!