Radio problem

katmat

I have a 05 3500 series. Just recently the AM stations started coming in poorly. FM stations come in great. Have not opened the dash to check the antenna connection. Anyone else have this problem!
Thanks,
Matt Murphy
Illinois

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Used to be a common problem on the '02-03s. Besides the connection to the radio (on the Becker, there is a clip to keep the antenna wire properly aligned, but it may have slipped off or the aftermarket radio may not have a clip which increases the odds of a poor connection). Also check the antenna connection located behind the cabin light behind the headliner.

katmat

I just noticed that the AM stations come in great when the van is not running. Once I start the van the Am signal goes bad, FM is fine.
Thanks,
Matt Murphy

N2XBW

And another thing...
I just noticed that the AM stations come in great when the van is not running. Once I start the van the Am signal goes bad, FM is fine.
Thanks,
Matt Murphy
Matt,
I'd say you likely have a bad connection to the antenna or the power to the antenna amplifier is gone. I had exactly the same problem when I installed an aftermarket radio. I didn't realize the antenna was amplified and didn't connect it.

After experiencing the symptoms you describe, I hooked power to the antenna, and POW! Eveything missing was there.
John

Last edited:

Top Bottom