PDA

View Full Version : Injector Question - Blow-by and now odd brownish color 'gue' around injector

vanski
11-16-2016, 02:18 AM
Honestly, I don't want to get into my blow-by saga too much. Long story short, floored it to pass someone, loss of power, oil shot out my dip stick, did some basic testing, #5 cylinder seems to be the culprit.

My question - please take a look at the attached pics. Although difficult to see, the color of the 'gue' around the injector is brownish. I saw this color once upon a time when a blew a head gasket on an '87 landcruiser. I don't have any signs of a blown head gasket and even if I did, my injector wasn't leaking so how could oil, and oil mixed with water, get into the injector cylinder... Is it possible for a little water to work it's way into the injector bore over time? 2004, 172K miles.

Thanks in advance

Midwestdrifter
11-16-2016, 02:44 AM
Looks like a pretty normal combination of oil, rust, and water. It is normal for water to get into the injector wells.

I recently flushed the injector wells in my van and a similar combination of crap came out.

Since the valve cover seals around the injector Well It is possible for oil seep into the injector well from the valve cover ring.

Gaspiping Sprinter
11-16-2016, 03:12 AM
I agree with MidwestDrifter , I recently changed all the copper washers and tie down bolts on my injectors and almost each and every injector looked like yours as well !

vanski
11-16-2016, 03:51 AM
This was the first time I've taken out a non leaking one... :thumbup:

Gaspiping Sprinter
11-16-2016, 03:59 AM
Vanski , whatever you do don't take a good injector apart and think it can be put together AND WORK FINE , it won't !!!

vanski
11-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Thx.. I was trying to scope my piston head. Unfortunately the bore scope is too large in diameter. Time to take off the head! More on that later. Maybe. :cry: